Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone im new here and im looking for answers to this mystery.

I Got a 93 lx with a 302 dropped in it by the previous owner.
It has a 4 barrel intake with a edlebrock 4barrel on it. with MSD 6a ICM and blaster 2 coil with a mallory distributor. my issue lies in my wiring i think.

The prev owner was trying to "Build" A race car. and his wiring skills were no good. AND! he rewired the WHOLE CAR. Alot of splicing and duck/electrical tape.

my problem is this. i have no spark/start.
I Have the ICM wiring like so.
Orange to + on coil
Black to - on coil
Heavy black to - On battery
heavy red to + on battery.
White wire to green on distributor.
Red wire to red on distributor then to 12volt key on.
The ICM has power. but with the key on, no power to the coil.
But with a direct 12v current to the coil still no start.

I Also chopped alot of the wiring out from under the dash ( He had 3 of every guage known to man hooked up in this car) So i removing all the wiring to these extra guages but alot of them wire spliced with others and so forth.

Anyone know what could be going on here? i have fuel.
also. a wierd thing happend. when i was attaching my temp wire to the coil directly from my 12v source. the starter engaged for a split second.

Any help would be greatful because im trying to restore this car.
and you guys have a great forum glad to be here.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
take the box off its mounting, it will have a schematic on the back cover, other wise go to msd's web site

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes sir it does. i have followed it correctly. but still to no avail.
Quick question, do i have to have it wired to be in "cranking" mode ? or just "run".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me explain how this is wired ( Not by me btw )

My 12v lead comes from a wire spliced into my wiring harness that runs acrost the top of my engine, connects to my distributor, and then to the msd box. and from the msd box it connects to the coil via the orange wire.

So i should be able to run a new wire from a cranking 12v to my coil + correct? where would i find a lead for that? Sorry. im not to car savvy. Still learning about wiring.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Do you have the brown wire from the Mallory grounded? If no it need to be grounded
If yes un hook green/white splice, check for 12v+ at the red wire to the dizzy with the key on and while cranking if the 12v+ If no wire it so it dose
if yes, hook up a test light from 12v+ to the unhooked green wire from the Mallory and see if it flashes when you turn over the motor with the key. If no unilite is fried,
If yes unhook the MSD box from coil hook a jumper from 12v+ switched to the + side of the coil, and a jumper from the green wire coming the Mallory to - side of the coil check for spark while turning over motor
if yes something amiss with MSD box
if no coil is bad,

·
Registered
688 Posts
Coil + must be HOT in crank mode if you are bypassing the OEM resistor wire to the Coil+.

\If you bypass OEM wire you are Bypassing the I terminal on the Starter solenoid that delivers cranking voltage to coil when the starter is engaged.
93 had a TFI ignition no OEM wire from I terminal no resestior wire from factory. full 12v to the coil

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Yeah sorry new guy my thoughts were pre 79 at that moment...

Follow Chero's MSD instructions and you will be golden.

To test your coil simply get an ohm meter and OHM between the - and + terminals. If it's OPEN and no resistance you got a bad coil.

Same goes for the coil wire to the Coil - and the coil + there has to be continuity. And there can be a bad coil showing continuity, but I don't remember the range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts