Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am fairly new to the world of Fords, and recently fell in love with and bought a '64 Galaxie 500 fastback. So far I've been neck deep in almost every moving part on this car, and I finally ran into one that you guys haven't addressed all that well. (I have already used this site to resolve more issues than I care to discuss) Anyway, the steering column was loose in the car when I got it. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention and the outside tube of the steering column slid down and interfered with the rag joint. I pulled the steering column back up into its correct position, but I had already destroyed a plastic ring that was inserted in the end of the column. What is that ring's purpose? and Where might I be able to find a replacement for it and anything else that might have been damaged? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
21,646 Posts
I sure wish i had an answer for you and am sure someone here will. I've never had mine apart nor another one i had and sold.

But i can welcome you to the forum and think you found the right place to get help! Not to mention very good choice of vehicle. I'm a bit biased but '64s are the best. :) And we are a curious lot here and love to see pics. hint hint. lol

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
by lower ring do you mean the lower steering column bushing/bearing?
lotsa places sell the parts. Check Dennis Carpenter's for a diagram of the area to figure what part your talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My best guess at the moment would be the lower bearing cup. Thanks for the warm welcome and the link, and I'll try to post some pics of the car as well as the troublesome parts over the next couple of days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts