Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I might as well introduce myself before jumping in to conversation around the forums.

My name's Josh (but you can call me whatever you want, I don't have a preference) and I'm an eighteen year old gearhead from Connecticut.

Back in September of 2012, I picked up the #1 car on my bucket list, a 1963 Galaxie 500 Tudor boxtop. I'd fallen for that specific car back when I was 13 or 14 poking around Ebay, but it took four years of saving and craigslist-scanning to find mine.

An hour drive and $2500 later, and she was mine.
A simple 352/Cruise-o-Matic car, with 77,444.6 original miles on the clock. From what I've gathered, the car was bought new in Connecticut, then soon moved to Maine, where it lived until it was last registered in 1983. It then sat outside for quite some time, in which the driver's door was met full force with an ATV. After this, it was moved in to a garage/barn, which later partially/fully (I'm not sure) collapsed on the car. The hood and passenger fender are off of a 4door that I also have paperwork for. The roof sustained a few dents, which were filled with Bondo. I will need to fix that properly some day, but for now, it will do.

The car runs like a top, minus needing a carb rebuild. I also think the torque converter might be acting up, but I really cannot be sure, because I've yet to register the car and drive it beyond the driveway.
The main issue for this is a fair bit of frame rot, that went a little further than I had expected. The floors are 95% solid, but the bottom of both sides of the frame beneath the cabin leave a bit to be desired. I'll be taking good pictures and asking for advice on that in the near future.

Now! For the actual pictures of the car! (Which by the way has affectionately been named Sasha, after a Russian damsel from my past)

Here she is on the day I went and checked it out, at the previous owner's garage. Not too pretty, but I have high hopes for the old girl, who was once Maroon with a Palomino interior.

Loading it up for the hour drive home. Yeah! It came with (wannabe) slot mags!

One last strap check before the highway...

Fast forward to present day; We have headlight trim, no carpet inside, mostly flat black spraypaint, and a whole lot less in the way of cigarette butts inside every crevice of the car.

She's pretty cleaned up by this point, I have all the trim (And little idea of how to install it) and the rear bumper is in the garage as well. I hope to have it road-worthy to cruise to work in this summer. Who knows!

I'd say that's a pretty good and slightly long introductory post for you guys (and gals). I'll be posting around here in the coming weeks as I ask for advice aplenty while I figure out just what I'm going to do with my 50 year old car.
But for now;
TheFurryCarGuy, out!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!!!! Very nice AND cool for a youngster to dig the oldies... Its a great looking car, and ask questions away, the guys here are better than any encyclopedias around with knowledge..... From your frame ailments to the carb problems, the info is here....

GREAT CAR/FIND....:tup::tup::)

MRO......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!!!! Very nice AND cool for a youngster to dig the oldies... Its a great looking car, and ask questions away, the guys here are better than any encyclopedias around with knowledge..... From your frame ailments to the carb problems, the info is here....

GREAT CAR/FIND....:tup::tup::)

MRO......
Thanks! The guy I bought it from (Who, might I add, had a collection of twenty-six chevrolet cars from the 60's and early 70's, SS 454 Chevelles and all) was so excited to be selling it to a teenager. Didn't expect that one, to be honest!
I'm pretty glad that I decided to look up a Ford-Muscle forum (Been a member of the Ford Taurus forum for my DD for awhile) because now I can get some real insight. Definitely looking forward to spending more time here!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Welcome Furry! Great looking galaxie....hope you get all fixes done soon so you can drive her with out any doubts. Just keep at it and no everything can be fixed or at least put off till later...LOL!

Get a catalog from these guys and you'll be set for most of your parts.

www.classicautoparts.com

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I'm with the others on here. Welcome. It's good to see a youngster starting out with an old Ford, like myself some fifty years ago.
I do believe this thread would be better served on the Galaxie forum though, maybe someone can move it. Lot of knowledge there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with the others on here. Welcome. It's good to see a youngster starting out with an old Ford, like myself some fifty years ago.
I do believe this thread would be better served on the Galaxie forum though, maybe someone can move it. Lot of knowledge there.
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether I should make an introduction here or in the Galaxie forum. There was a thread specifically for introductions on the Taurus forum, and I kind of figured this was the same sort of thing, I'll make an introduction over there sometime soon maybe

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Welcome to FM, the galaxie thread in here is one of the best gal info places around. Hope your frames not too bad, never hear of many issues except 65-up.
that body looks to be in pretty good shape, the oldschool slot mags go good on it too :)

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I am agreeing with the seller! Always great to see a youngster interested in old cars. Ford preferably but any is great. We need more like you to keep the hobby going after we are gone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum and I am agreeing with the seller! Always great to see a youngster interested in old cars. Ford preferably but any is great. We need more like you to keep the hobby going after we are gone!
Yeah, I even considered finding an old 6cyl 4door Falcon to DD during the summer as well, just to be that kid with the classic cars.
Not to mention I've got myself a 1976 F250 to work on as well, after the Galaxie is done. And because I like to show off;

Isn't she pretty? Nothing like a 390 dumping after the headers and a 4speed to really wake up the neighbors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And you've got my word right now that if I end up curse- I mean blessed with children, that I'll be instilling in them the knowledge of all things old and carbureted. Not to mention my current squeeze wants a '71 Mach 1, so I won't even have to fight to bring old and rusty things home, because she'll be okay with it!

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
And you've got my word right now that if I end up curse- I mean blessed with children,
It's called blessing in disguise sometimes. lol Or your parent's revenge on you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts