Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey uncle DynoTom....this is Jeff. After a while of looking for my first classic car, I found really nothing that was perfect for the money I had. Then, one day as I'm talking to my brother, I remembered that he was selling his 64 Galaxie. Perfect, a clean car, doesn't need a lot of work, and one of the best looking cars ever made. Plus, my bro will give me a good deal.....or so I hope.

Now I was thinking what I wanted to do with it, can you guys help?. It's a 64 four door with a 390 three on the tree with over drive. I was thinking of following what my uncle is doing, and putting in a 4-speed. I was told the over drive could sell for good money, what do you guys think I could get for it? Then I was thinking of the basic cam, intake, and carb. Nothing to big, I don't expect to run under 14 sec. in the quarter mile. Then dual exhaust with flowmasters? Then to top it off, I wanted to go with the tear drop hood. My bro was also telling me that make a ram air system that runs through where the high beam headlights are after you take them out. I couldn't find that on the Internet.....do you guys know where I can find it?

Hey Tom.....can you dig up those pics of the Galaxie.....I haven't seen it in over a year because it's in storage. If you guys have any info, links, or anything at all, help a kid with his first project. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Hey!

Andy didnt say anything about you wanting his 64?

Its a nice car,but are you sure you want a 4-door?

If you get it that car would be real easy to put a 4-speed in.

The place that sells the Ram-Air like the factory drag cars used is http://www.critesrestoration.com they have a good deal of glass parts and items for your car.

If we go down to Columbus this spring,I have to stop at the Crites factory to pick up my 66 Galaxie teardrop hood from them.

You should go too and pick up the stuff you want?

A 390 can get set up pretty nice,get a nice cam,headers,intake and carb and it should be a fun car to drive.

I think it would look kinda cool with all the old Super-Stock hood and Ram-Air through the headlight openings?

Ill help out,we can make it pretty cool if you want.

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock-White Lightning
66 Galaxie 500 390 4-V auto-future 4 or 5spd.
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/5/02 1:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a built up 4-door would be really cool. Ya, we could take that trip to crites again.....when is the show? I don't think it will be ready by the time Woodword rolls around this year.....I have to save up my money. Thanks for the pic. Can you think of anything else I should do to it? How much will a 4-speed cost, and where should I get one?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Well, as far as the Woodward cruise thing goes,you can always cruise with me in the 66 Galaxie.

The point Im making about Woodward is,you should go even if you dont have a car ready!

The 4-speed thing is something Im right in the beginning of checking out myself?

I really dont have any good leads for a old top loader places,I will have to start my search soon.

I have to be sure I can get all the pedels and linkage and bellhouse for the 66 Galaxie before I buy the 4-speed trans.

The trans will be easy for me to get,its the other parts of the swap that are going to a be PITA!

Your car has a 3-speed stick in it,so you wont need all the stuff my car would to make it a 4-speed,so you are lucky there!

I will let you know about some of toploaders 4-speeds I find and how much they cost in a few days.

I have even considerd putting my new Tremec 5 speed I have in the 66 Galaxie?

That would be a sweet swap hey?

Im thinking about it?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Do you guys know what size wheels those are?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Dragman, the wheels are 14 x 7 steels from a 70 Torino Cobra with the factory 64 Ford hubcaps.

It was my idea putting those tires and rims on the 64.

I cant remember off hand the tire size we put on them?

Ill see if my nephew remembers what size the tires were,the car has been in storage for a few years now so,its hard to even picture it anymore.

I think the wheels look pretty cool on it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/4/02 9:35pm ]</font>

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey FoMoCo welcome aboard! Thats a really sweet car! I normally aren't much into 4 doors, but I really like that one. I really like the 64's. I like those steelies on there too. Real sweet cruiser.

The Flowmasters would definately be a great addition. My brothers got 3chambers on his 4x4 with a 460 and they sound great! The mild cam, intake, and carb would be a good choice too. The four speed wouldn't be hard to do either, since you already have the pedals and linkage. I guess the only thing you'd have to do would be to cut a hole in the floor for a shifter since yours is on the tree.

79 F150 4x4 (Soon To Be FE Powered)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RonMeyer on 2/4/02 10:38pm ]</font>

·
Registered
238 Posts
Indeed, welcome to the Galaxie family.

Offhand, is that car lowered in front? And if so, by how much? I could not tell if it was severely raked as much as it looks as a result of the angle of the picture. If it is raked as much as I think it is... do the front tires rub?

Thanks in advance

1964 Galaxie 500 stock 289 3spd auto, Black Suede with Red Flames
1964 Falcon 4 door, dead 200 Cid 6, Blue and White Grandma Car

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desertdroog on 2/5/02 2:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Yes, the car was lowered in front.

The lowering was done by "Mother Nature" and it was free!

The car needs all new springs,they are all FUBAR,I dont think they rubbed anywhere with that set up on it but the springs definatly need to be replaced.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/5/02 8:08am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Jeff,did you find out how much he wants for it?

I think he should give it to you for what he has in it,the car needs springs and could also use a engine rebuild.

The engine is real tired in there!

Just remember,when you start to replace stuff its going to cost good money,are you sure you want a good deal of money in that car?

Sometimes it pays to get the exact car you really want,that way when you end up with good money in it,you wont care?

Your call,but depending on your cash spending limit,I could probably find you something you would like more,not one that just happens to be convienent to buy that you really dont love.

Think?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/5/02 8:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well.....my dad wants him to sell it to me for $2500 which is what he has in it, but he wanted to get $3000. I like my dad's price better. I always liked this car, it's just when I started to look for a car, this one was in storage and I forgot about it. It's a perfect car to start with, and it's for a good price. I don't think I can find a car like this around here for that price and if I go down south, there is the price of getting it back up here. You know what else is cool, I already have memories of that car two years ago going to the Solid Gold car show, good times.

Oh ya, Woodward is sounding good, I would like to go, sounds fun

Now I need help deciding what kind of cam, intake, and carb to get.....any ideas?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Ok, I guess you have thought about it.

I can say that $2500.00 would be a nice price for the car,tell Andy it needs springs real bad and like I said before that engine is real tired!

I can set you up with a nice FE 390 engine,I still have some nice parts left over from when I was into them a while back.

You could use one of my nice 390 blocks I have at my house,that way you wouldnt have to lay the car up by rebuilding the motor thats in it now.

I would go with a 0.30 390 with 10 1/2 to 1 compression,nice hyd. cam,aluminum 4-V intake and say a Holley 750 vac secondary carb.

It would also help alot to put some headers on it with a pair of flowmasters.

I think the car would be pretty fast with that combo,not a 12 second car but I would guess high 14s?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey guys, I was reading about the idea of switching the 3+OD over to a 4 speed, is this the overdrive that has the shifter on the floor and reverse,1st, 2nd, 3rd on the tree? If so, here's an idea. I saw a '61 Galaxie in a magazine many years ago that had this same setup. The guy had swapped in a 427 (I think) and a 4 speed. He used the shifter on the column for 1st thru 4th and the OD shifter for reverse. He said it was a hell of a sleeper ploy and people were really confused when he was banging four gears from a column shifter. Just an idea, I thought it was pretty cool.

Greg

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Greg R, the car has a 3 speed shift on the colum,and a lever under the dash marked overdrive?

Im not sure how it works?

Is that the style trans you were thinking it was?

I dont think we ever used the overdrive part on this car,we used to just take it to local car shows and cruises in town no highway driving.

I wonder if that trans it has would be worth something?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think the earlier Galaxies (around '61 or so) had a lever on the floor with actual linkage for the overdrive. I just checked the books and it looks like your's is controled by a solanoid. I just thought a 4 speed on the tree would be pretty cool. If you can strip out the entire overdrive unit (switches, wiring, trans, etc) you might get a pretty penny for it. Contact someone at The Galaxie Club, they would know for sure. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Greg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts