Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where to buy good quality, not so expensive, leaf springs?

Any experience will be appreciated :)

Does it exists leaf springs for 60-64 Galaxie which get the rear part of the car a bit higher?

In norway, no one(I assume) re-arches leaf springs, the freight will almost be the same price as for new leaf springs

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
I got mine from classiccarsprings.com They had the best price when i was looking for some.

Might be able to pic up a set of the dodge ones though at a local yard for a lot less. That's pretty cool that they fit like they do. Mine have 5 leaves i think it is, just wonder how long with the extra load on mine that these would hold up? If i'd known of this i would of checked into it when i was needing them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive already sent an email to www.classiccarsprings.com. I may buy wagon leaf springs from that company, wagon springs probably also lift the back a bit. In Norway, new Dodge Ram springs will probably cost more. Maybe someone have some used dodge springs to sell locally

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know but there are probably several spring companys in Norway. I went on line when I needed leafs for my 60 Plymouth wagon and found a fairly local place that will make coil or leafs to my specks and they delivered for free. They actually found the specks for my wagon and the springs worked great. For my 67 GTO, I wanted it to set just a little higher, so I measured the wire diameter and the # of coils and they custom made a pair. Only problem was, I had to use my wagon to tow my to Canada[7 hour drive] the next morning. My day job, I work in a micro-brewery that is right next door to a garage, so I gave them the springs and said I would be back in a few hours. I see the car is outside and done. I looked and just started laughing. It sat level on one side and 6" higher on the other. They said i gave them 2 different springs. I said "no I didn't". I told to loosen everything back up and showed them how to tighten things up. They had some kids do the work. How can they fix anything if they don't even have the common sence to hang springs? Why do these places panic if they see an older and MUCH simpler car?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because the kids dont have any instructions how to do it. And much of the working with new cars is digitalized and computerized, the old cars are "unknown" for they;)

Norway is a very small nation, so we probably dont have any spring shops

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am sure there has been SOMEONE that has used those from Dearborn, but am still uncertain if they will give you the rake you desire....

They may raise it to the 'normal' height if yours are sagging/weak...

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
I saw Dearborn's price and went to check Classic Car Springs and none of the links for leaf springs are working. I paid about $200 including shipping from those guys and am happy with them. But don't know when the site might be working again or how long it's been down for those links.

Here's another place to look at.
Ford / Mercury Car Leaf Springs

I to think there has to be a spring shop around, cars there use them too. :) But not sure how close to you they might be.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I checked the link you gave ShotRod, and it was $100 pr leaf spring. Thats cheap. Also Eaton detroit is an alternative, but the price is high. Following this PDF-file: http://www.eatonsprings.com/2010autopricesheet.pdf, the price is $479. But they can modifie the springs, adding 1 leaf to get 6 leafs pr spring f.ex. But IMO, its anyway too expensive.

Here in North Norway, I think no shops are re-arcing the springs, maybe in our capital city, but thats 875 miles away :).

I assume the leaf springs which is mounted now are original, they only have 4 leafs. So it may be necessary with new springs anyway. Im gonna mount gabriel air shocks this winther, but I dont think that will make it good enough. The ride can be a bit hard I guess, particulary when the trunk contains much luggage

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I assume the leaf springs which is mounted now are original, they only have 4 leafs. So it may be necessary with new springs anyway. Im gonna mount gabriel air shocks this winther, but I dont think that will make it good enough. The ride can be a bit hard I guess, particulary when the trunk contains much luggage
The shocks WILL raise it a couple inches maybe a little more, and it will ride rougher, BUT if you are loading it with luggage that will help the ride (altho it will lower ride height) it wont be as much as it would be with-out the Air Shocks. My old Gabriel High-Jackers will raise the rear of my '70 Mustang almost a full 8". if I want them to. (makes for crappy jack-rabbit starts tho, wheel hop out the wazzoo) The air shocks I bought from auto zone were also gabriels and put on a chrysler new yorker only caused it to raise 3-4 inches at most.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, these Gabriel Shocks can raise the back enough, but I assume the ride will be a bit hard with old saggy leaf springs

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, these Gabriel Shock can raise the back enough, but I assume the ride will be a bit hard with old saggy leaf springs
Hello 1976kjell,

I'm not sure if my info helps, but here it is:

I wanted to raise my '64 and improve the worn-out ride, so I replaced all the springs fall of 2011. I purchased 5-leaf rear springs from: General Spring KC
This referral came from a local spring shop in Minneapolis, who had told me all their classic springs come from them anyways. I paid about the same as Shot did for hers.

Then this spring, still not happy with how low the back was sitting, I took the new rear leaf springs apart and added 2 MORE leaves from my old springs, for a total of 7. That then was the look I wanted, ta-da! (please note: adjusting the rear brake shoes is now a bit more difficult).

Below are photos of the old height (left) with new springs (right), then the next one is how it looks right now. My car does NOT have air shocks (which is something I won't debate, it's just my choice), but does have a nice pair of coil-over shocks. The ride is superb, very nice handling, not rough or overly-stiff, and I can haul 4 adults plus 'stuff in the trunk' and it doesn't even budge.

So...if buying new leaf springs from the US is too much with the shipping, maybe you can find a 'donor' pair in your country and make up a new set from both, adding as many leaves as you need? This was fairly easy to do on a 'lift' without removing the main leaf, but not everyone has that access.

Hope you get it all worked out :) Norm in Minnesota

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Your post, Minn64Gal, got me thinking about the leaf spring and height a bit more. Already sent an email to general spring and asked if the can modify it to 6 leafs(or leavs, to write correct english;)?). If not, Wagon or Dodge Ram springs may be the most actual. Nice 64 Galaxie you have Minn64Gal

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks for your nice comment about mine, kjell.:) I do hope Gen Spring offers some assistance for you, -they also make longer u-bolts in case you need them. Or, if the Dodge set-up works better/cheaper for you. I will follow this thread and see how you are doing. Hope to see some pics of yours sitting up the way you want ....and then you are smiling. :)

cheers Norm in Minn

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
There must be heavy duty vehicles around Norway that run leaf springs. The thing to do might be to go to a spring shop and get your old springs modified. Any good spring shop should be able to add a leaf, or leaves to restore the sacked out spring pack. Is there not anyone on your area that services trucks and heavy vehicles? Maybe you'll have to do it yourself with salvage springs and swapping in leaves until it looks right? The leaves should be easy enough to cut to length, so look for something similar in width.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its a shop that works with busses and trucks. Thats not for privat customers I assume, but Ill call tomorrow to ask them if they can help me

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just add a leaf! If the main leaf is not broken and the bushings are OK, get another pair of leaf springs from a wrecking yard or where ever as long as they are the same width. Since I was always doing Fords, I liked MOPAR springs because the leaves were different lengths than Ford but even another model of Ford will typically have different lengths. You will need new U-bolts which you will probable need anyway and you will need centering bolts. Long leaves give you more height and short leaves stiffen the ride and/or increase the load carrying capasity. Take the OEM leaves apart and reassemble adding one or two leaves from the donor set. Cheap and easier than fighting the bolts out of the bushings and custom. Easily done in a afternoon. If it is not what you want, add or subtract long or short leaves to get the ride and ride height that you want. I've done this to every leaf spring vehicle I've owned including pickups. Hemi MOPARs came from the factory with an extra leaf in the right rear.

picture quality issues...these pictures are older than most of you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts