Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked her up yesterday. My first Ford powered muscle car. It has a worked 351 Windsor, Toploader 4spd, 9" with 4:11's and Detroit locker. It needs a little work, but its not bad. Only a few small bad spots on the body and its all on one panel.
A few things that I think I need. I hear a clunking when I let out the clutch and shift. Even just going slow, like backing out, or pulling into the garage. It makes the noise in forward and reverse. I believe its either the motor mount or trans mount. However not knowing anything about the engine, I do not know if the mounts are special. I want to replace all of them with some heavy duty mounts but not solid.

When I get on, and off the gas, it seems like the car goes to the side. I only had that happen once on a street rod when the bushing went bad on the rear 4 link. Any ideas? Could a bad mount cause this?

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
So pretty! If you don't mind me/us asking... how much did she send you back? Always wanted to start by way of: "almost" there...hot rodding. Sometimes it's fun just to hang the pine tree scented car freshener and drive. :tup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So pretty! If you don't mind me/us asking... how much did she send you back? Always wanted to start by way of: "almost" there...hot rodding. Sometimes it's fun just to hang the pine tree scented car freshener and drive. :tup:
$11K which is pretty cheap around here. I looked at a lot of cars before this one and everything was high for junk. Found it on Craigslist and hour north of New York City. Took the 4 hour drive to look at it, then did it again the following day to pick it up.

I have a good amount I want to do. First is get the front end tight and find out whats causing the thumping sound. Then, get rid of the rims (can't stand Torque Thrusters). Detail out motor, fix small bubble and crack in rear panel, rear seat area has to be finished off because there is a roll bar in the back and no rear seat, etc.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice! I doubt a motor mount would cause that but I could be wrong. Sounds more like a front end problem to me.

John
Guess I will have to get it on my buddy's lift and look over the front end. Anyone sell a complete "rebuild kit"?

How about the thumping? Motor or trans mount?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice looking car! Could it be a worn U-joint clunking in forward or reverse?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A buddy of mine, who is a mechanic, suggest I use solid mounts. I will definitly look into the U joints. I plan on keeping the car for awhile so I might just do the U joints anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts