Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my son , age 17, was stuck on the idea of buying a muscle car. His friend's dad had a 1967 galaxie 500 that the sons had no interest in, so my son told him he would buy it. I told him if he wanted it, HE had to save the money and pay for it.
about 4 months later, he bought it. We got it running and gave it a full tune up. He got plates on it and has 10 days to get it inspected.

I think everything will pass, but it seems as if it takes longer to start than it should. choke issue?

it also does not "kick down" when driving and hit the gas. linkage issue?

I'm far from a master mechanic, but we are working on the car together and could use some help LOL

Any suggestions for things to do to it?
it is pretty much all original and has the 2brl 390ci engine.
4 door , automatic, A/c, posi rear end

it needs interior badly, but the body is suprisingly solid.

where can he find interior parts for it?

oh, he picked it up for $800

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
pretty nice.. it is rare to find younger people interested in this old stuff. on the kickdown issue, I'd try to find out what transmission is in it.. cruisomatic 2 speed, FMX 3 speed, C4, C6. that will narrow down how the linkage is connected and how to approach the adjustments.

On the startup , could be the choke, considering the age of the car, that carb might be in a gummy state. I'm sure someone will chime in on carb tips. interior wise, you can get about everythign from Dearborn http://www.dearbornclassics.com/catalogsearch/result/?search_year=1967&search_model_id=59&q=&x=57&y=0
they have tons of stuff to restore these cars. another nice place is http://tiptopwebsite.com/websites/index2.php?username=colson43&page=4
Crites sells some nice upgrades. or Dennis carpenter http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?userwatch~dynamicSearchPage~cadefffO
auto krafters is nice too. http://www.autokrafters.com/v4/go.g...krafters&t=&n=default&d=contact&product=22461

and the list goes on.. jsut a few places to start your searches. or Ebay.. just do a search for 1967 Galaxie and look at the things. welcome to the forums.

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/cat...arch_year=1967&search_model_id=59&q=&x=57&y=0

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Great to see a young man interested in an old car. Although my son thinks he wants me to pass my car on to him he has no interest in doing any work on it. Hopefully down the road that will change and that i have a long time to not worry about where it goes!! lol

Hope you get all the bugs worked out on her and congrats on the new ride.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the secret world of Ford Galaxies.

The 67 had a downshift rod, a hollow aluminum tube that attaches to the carb linkage (pic). Sometimes, when you downshift and if the drivers side motor mount is ripped, the torque of acceleration will lift the engine on that side and push up on the downshift rod. This causes a permanent downshift situation that cannot be fixed by stomping on the vacuum operated power brake. But you will learn this and many other secret things by yourself as the years pass... if you don't.

Puttster

Attachments

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Still say go for the Lokar cable setup, get rid if the rod of doom all together and upgrade your throttle cable while your at it that'll help with the down
shifting.

A new carb is never a bad investment either. I can rebuild carbs with the best of them, but there's just something about that new carb smell.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
133 Posts
not all of us young bucks are lost in the world of terrible plastic cars! hahaha i was definitely born in the wrong era

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not all of us young bucks are lost in the world of terrible plastic cars! hahaha i was definitely born in the wrong era
he actually goes to tech school (in high school) for auto body repair and that's where he really got turned onto older cars. Today he took it to school and when he went to start it to pull it in the garage at school, the starter will not engage on the flywheel. LOL so he had to leave it at school and drive his 92 ford tempo to work today. he just put a brand new starter on it Sunday morning!!!hoping its a faulty starter and not the flywheel :( he just cant win!

he also told me he has two headlights burned out LMAO....he's starting to find out that owning and old car that isn't restored isn't a cheap date.

·
Registered
133 Posts
he just put a brand new starter on it Sunday morning!!!hoping its a faulty starter and not the flywheel.
If you want look at some of my previous posts and show him how ive completly changed my engine bay takes time patience and MONEY as i found out haha, also let him know hes not the only one i bought a brand new starter, bolter it up to the housing started to bolt it to the block and the whole chunk that holds the starter to the housing just fell off i guess better then than later. but i bought a new housing and went from there.

he also told me he has two headlights burned out LMAO....he's starting to find out that owning and old car that isn't restored isn't a cheap date.
headlights are easy start looking for tailight/assemblies if he needs them EBAY EBAY EBAY find em and scoop em up when you can, one of mine randomly ended up with a crack i thnk i know wha happened but that person didnt fess up but i let it be those things happen(accidents i guess)

but im 21 no previous car experience learning as i go

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
headlights are easy start looking for tailight/assemblies if he needs them EBAY EBAY EBAY find em and scoop em up when you can, one of mine randomly ended up with a crack i thnk i know wha happened but that person didnt fess up but i let it be those things happen(accidents i guess)

but im 21 no previous car experience learning as i go
Too bad 66 tails are different than 67 ive probably got at least six sets. I'm glad there are still new generations of old school popping up. I'm 31 and have been told I was born 20 years too late.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You should really get him involved in this forum first hand. I love this forum because there are lots of regulars and tons of questions. Besides my son of ten can search web pages twice as good and me. The one thing we all like is follow up. Nobody likes giving advice and wondering if it worked. I have learned so much and contributed so little. Well I guess that is what makes this place and hobby/life style great. I too have a 4 door 67 that I am working on. Let me know if I can help.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Too bad 66 tails are different than 67 ive probably got at least six sets. I'm glad there are still new generations of old school popping up. I'm 31 and have been told I was born 20 years too late.

Yea the 66 and 68 tail-light lenses are reproduced, but not the 67 lenses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts