Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Galaxie 500XL Q code
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new here and in search of some info on my new Gal-Lexie.

I first found this car 2 years ago but the timing wasn't right so I thought maybe someday if its meant to be I'll own it. I periodically stayed in touch with the seller and eventually we were able to make a deal.

I bought this Q code recently and knew it was pretty unique when I saw the paint code delete and unique DSO.

I'm really torn on whether or not to paint it because I can't find any hard documentation to work off of. (Yes I COULD match the color in the door jams)

Here are some of the stats

427 - 4 speed.
VIN: 4J68Q109821
DSO 724043
Incomplete paint code: MX-70072...?

I found two build sheets during the removal of the interior and neither are completely legible. One was under the driver's seat and the other was stapled to the inside of the driver's side door panel. The story I got from the seller was that the original owner, Murray Ashford, purchased this car with a custom color, but as you can see from the build sheet this is true, but I don't have the complete paint code! The car also appears to have factory-installed traction bars. see pic.

Any info you guys can chime in with would be amazing. I'm really struggling to find any info on this paint code.

Looking forward to your opinions and thoughts!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Congratulations on your "new" car. I'm guessing you probably have a full decode of your warranty plate already, but in case you don't, here it is: Body 63C = 2 door fastback Galaxie 500 XL.
Color left blank = special order exterior paint. Trim 80 = White crush vinyl bucket seats. Date 21K = scheduled for build 21 October 1963. DSO 724043 = Domestic Special Order from the San Jose, CA District Sales Office (72) and the "4043" would have said what the special order exterior paint color was. Unfortunately, the records which would have answered that question were thrown away years ago. Axle 5 = 3.50 ring and pinion gears in a Ford 9 inch non-limited slip differential. Trans 5 = 4 speed manual. It was about this time that Ford was replacing the Borg-Warner T-10 with the Ford Top Loader so it might have been either one. 4J68Q109821 decodes as 4 = 1964 model year. J = Los Angeles, CA assembly plant. 68 = model 2 door fastback. Q = 427 cubic inch 4 barrel carb, 410 gross horsepower FE V8 engine. This was called the NASCAR engine because then current NASCAR regulations permitted only one 4 barrel carb. The two 4 barrel engine "R" code engines were intended for drag racing. I have the 1964 Ford paint color chips, and your color looks very much like "Pagoda Green", but of course it can't be because if it were, there would be a "B" in the color place and we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's a pity your build sheet is missing one or two digits after MX-70072 because that probably would have answered the question. I looked at the Auto/Truck/Fleet Paint Cross [email protected], and they have a section on special order paints which narrows your color to the "green" family, but again that's not really news to you as you can see that for yourself. So, not much help, was I? Another thing to keep in mind, just because your car came with 3.50 gears and non-limited slip, for example, it doesn't mean that someone hasn't made some changes in the intervening 50 years - but it does give you a starting point to work from. If you have or get some period literature that gives performance statistics (stock) from back in the day, and compare them with today's cars, you'll probably cringe at how slow your (and my) car is and how apalling the gas mileage is, not to mention the brakes and the handling. It just goes to show that things have improved somewhat in the past 56 years. Still, the sound of that big solid lifter FE and the instantaneous throttle response is bound to bring a smile to your face. Enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for taking the time to type this up! I stumbled upon the paintref website last night and too, was a bit bummed that I came up dry!

The car has been sitting with a blown up engine since 72' and I have the last registration for it. I had the privilege of speaking to both owners since, who had dreams of restoring it but didn't. So basically they have just been storing the car all these years. I would agree that Pagoda green is the first guess but the door jams and untouched surfaces are much more "green" than Pagoda.

I've got the engine at Carlquist Competition Engines in CT and cat wait to get this thing on the dyno, get it dialed in and start banging gears with a big block!

Any recommendations on where to get these door panels redone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a friend who has restored several '62 - '64 high performance Galaxies; I'll try to get hold of him and see if he has any ideas about your door panels. Are yours white as per the trim code? Would you change your upholstery and door panels to black (for example) if white is unavailable but black is? I have seen white bucket seat upholstery available, but not the door panels. My car is a '63.5 (with black interior) and I thought the XL door panels were the same as the '64s, but I guess not. Are you planning to keep your car as stock as you can or will you modify it some? Since your color code is blank you could conceivably paint the car any color you want to if you can't determine what color of green it was wearing when it left the assembly plant. Are you having the compression ratio reduced some in your newly rebuilt engine? Good luck and have fun with your new project!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I think SMS can make the door panels in whatever material/colours you wish. I'm sure there are many places that can custom make the panels to match original, or anything else you may want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys!

Today I got in touch with a well respected interior guy locally here in AZ and he said he could make the door panels and center console look new again. I'm excited to be bringing him all the interior parts this week and make some more room in the garage!

I'm bringing the interior back to factory stock-all white. I will be stroking the engine to a 482ci, aluminum TFS heads 10.5:1, and a solid roller cam. It should boogie.

I'm pulling the body off the car this week, sandblasting the frame, and painting it black. I'm pretty sure at this point I'm not going to paint the body. I'll paint the underside black and make it so its a treat to work on and not filthy. I'm really digging the patina and hoping for a "mechanically restored" driver.

Putting on Wilwood disc all the way around and ride tech coil-overs. I ordered a lot of these parts last week and they can't get here soon enough!

I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions so far.

?Heres to banging gears with a big block!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a cool story and it was definitely meant to be yours! Look forward to the progress!

Thanks, I can't wait! I'm mounting the tires on the wheels tomorrow and looking forward to seeing how everything clears...???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the 295/40R18 on the back and they fit well with a zero offset wheel! The leaf springs are coming off and I'm going with the Ridetech bolt in 4 link which will gain me some clearance. I can fit a "fat" finger between the tire and the quarter panel.

·
Super Moderator
21,605 Posts
Let's hope if you have a flat you're home or something! I carry the bumper jack and a hydraulic jack. Bumper jack just to get the body up in back. But that might have something to do with having air shocks so there is more travel before the tire starts coming up. I only know it's a pain to change the rear tires. Like the looks of these wheels though!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let's hope if you have a flat you're home or something! I carry the bumper jack and a hydraulic jack. Bumper jack just to get the body up in back. But that might have something to do with having air shocks so there is more travel before the tire starts coming up. I only know it's a pain to change the rear tires. Like the looks of these wheels though!

Thanks for this info! I do have a bumper jack that came with the car. I like your idea of carrying both! I found these wheel browsing one night and could resist. They are US wheel U111 Rambler. 18x8,18x9.5 zero offset.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"I think SMS can make the door panels in whatever material/colours you wish. I'm sure there are many places that can custom make the panels to match original, or anything else you may want."
Yeah, they did a great job with my brother's car as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts