Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Brian and I have just joined this site today. I have a 1965 Ford Fairlane 500 sedan with the original straight six cylinder in it right now. I have a 302 and a 289 in my garage of which I was trying to decide which one to do and put in place of the six cylinder. I have recently acquired a 1968 Mercury Cougar which I am going to part out and I have decided to use the 351 Clevland that is in the car for my Fairlane. My Fairlane is in very good condition with no rot in the quarters at all. The driver side torque box has some rot so I will have to change that but everything else looks pretty solid. I have had the car for about two years and have been driving it with the six in it but it is a dog with the six. The 351 will definitely help wake the car up. The interior is in very good condition as well. Nobody ever cut the dash and the only problem appears to be that the front seat is ripped which will be easy to have fixed. Once I start to drop the motor in the car I will probably start listing whatever problems I come across and what I do to remedy them in this site for anyone interested. I have a two car garage in the planing stages for the backyard and once that is done I will tackle the body work on this car and I will post my progress in here on that as well. I probably will not even start dropping the motor in for a few months from now and I am in no rush to get it done. I also have a 1985 Cutlass with a Pontiac 400 that came out of a 1969 GTO in it. I rebuilt the motor with a very good friend and it is already in the car. I also had a Turbo 350 rebuilt and put a TCI 2,500 stall converter in it. The rear is a 10 bolt posi with 3.73 gears. I also redid the suspension with polyeurethane bushings and put boxed control arms in the back to hold the rear. I also was able to buy springs for the car that are made for putting a big block in it. This car is almost finished with nonsense work left; such as the throttle and kickdown linkage, fuel pump, hooking up the gauges, etc. I will be completing this before doing the Fairlane. I also have a 1968 Chrysler Newport with a 383 in it which is in a friend's shop for paint right now. This motor has Edelbrock aluminum heads, an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Speed Demon carb, a purple cam, etc. As you can already tell, I do not really have a brand preference and I like some off the wall car bodies. Well, that is enough for now. To anyone whom has read this; thanks and any comments you wish to make are welcome. Have a great holiday and take car!!!!!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
sweet jeebus , thats a nice 65 !!! I just put a new 302 in my 65 and it MOVES now.... Can't wait to see the new motor installed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the replies and the warm welcome. Thanks to 64 TBOLT for listing my pictures for me as well. Norcal 500-that is a really nice 65 as well. My car is a car with a post which has not as nice of a roof line but I still like it and think it does help to stiffen the car a little. Scott-thanks for the advice about the header availability but I am now committed to putting the 351 in it and will do whatever I have to in order to make it work. The Cutlass in the picture with the 65 Fairlane has a Pontiac 400 from a 1969 GTO in it and there were no headers available for the motor in the body. I wound up buying aftermarket Ram Air manifolds for a whopping $500.00 figuring that they are close enough to being headers and they would fit. I do not mind the challenges. They make you feel that much better when someone else looks into the engine bay and notices the amount of work you put into doing the engine swap. I am glad you mentioned it though so I know to pay special attention to this before dropping the motor in first and then realizing it. This is exactly what happened with the Cutlass. I put the motor in before trying to put headers or manifolds on it. It made for extra work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention that the rims on the Fairlane are actually AMC rallye rims that happened to fit the Fairlane. I think they look good on the car but I am pretty sure I will be changing them in the future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are No Headers for a 351C in a 65 Fairlane. CK around Brian ( from Georgia ) has a 65 with a 351C and he bashed the crap out of a set to get them in. You will have to chop the shock towers before you do anything ( Crites ). The 289/302 would be a better choice for ease of instalation...Good Luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the information. What about regular manifolds and not headers? That is what I went with in my Cutlass with the Pontiac 400. I figure Ford must have made a good flowing stock manifold for these motors. Think regular manifolds might work? I figure I might be able to use the exhaust manifolds that are on the motor now. I measured the distance from shock tower to shock tower in the Cougar and the distance between shock towers in the Fairlane is actually a small amount wider. Of course the motors are still in the cars and it does look as though the distance between shock towers near the bottom is wider in the Cougar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess it would be a hit or miss,unless you made the Shocktower mods. If it were me I would put a 302/347(stroker) and use Hooker 6134 headers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The stroked 302 sounds cool but I would really like to get the 351 Clevland in there. I measured the strut towers in both cars and cars have just about the same width from the top of one strut tower to the top of the other. The Fairlane shock towers slope into the engine bay as they go down and the towers in the Cougar drop straight down. I am going to measure everything from the firewall forward and see if it is possible to weld the strut towers from the Cougar into the Fairlane if I feel like taking on a major project. I want to view all of my options before I make a decision. From what I have checked so far it appears as though the 351 might fit with the manifolds that are on it now. I am going to pull the motor from the Cougar and try to drop it into the Fairlane as is just to see if I can do it or not. After I see if it will fit or not I will make the decision on what to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello to all reading this. I am writing this just to give an update and to let people know that I have not forgotten about my thread. The weather has been extremely cold here in New York so I have not been able to do anything with my Fairlane recently. I do plan on pulling the 351 Cleveland from the Cougar in about a week or two. After that I will pull the straight six cylinder from the Fairlane and see if I can fit the Cleveland in with the stock exhaust manifolds on it. If it fits I am figuring on taking the motor back out and possibly rebuilding it. The motor did run in the Cougar so there is also a chance that I will leave it in the Fairlane as is for the time being. If the motor does not fit I have decided that I will probably drop in one of the 302 motors that I have here in the car rather than modify everything. I am still not sure of this yet but I am now leaning to this if the 351 cannot fit.
I have been very busy lately with other cars. I have put a deposit down on a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass S with the 442 option that I am buying for $850. This is a cool car with the 403 big block, bucket seats, console, 3.08 posi rear, Hurst T-tops, the original mags, etc. I am also picking up a 1966 Dodge Coroney 500 for $500. This car also has buckets and a console. I am currently undecided on a 1979 Hurst/Olds for $1,000. I will probably buy this one though since they only made 2,499 and the car is all together.
Anyway, I will keep updating this thread with my many car dealings and my build of the 65 Fairlane which will hopefully begin soon. Thanks to anyone reading and responding to this thread and take care.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello once again to all reading this. Ok; I still have not started to do anything new with the Fairlane yet. I did actually take it out yesterday for a ride after letting it sit all winter. The straight six started right up and I drove it around for about an hour with no problems. I have decided not to use the Cleveland motor. A good friend of mine has a 32 five window coupe and he was going to put a 289 in it. I helped him do the chassis on the car which is all done and we fit the body on it just to get an idea of how it is going to look and the 289 looked lost in the car. I suggested to him that the Cleveland motor would probably fill it out a little better and he agreed. Therefore, I have given him the Cleveland to use and am going to use one of the 302 motors I have here for the Fairlane. My new garage should be done sometime this summer and I am not going to start doing anything to the Fairlane until that is done. Well; that is all for now. Good luck to everyone with their own projects and I will of course be posting on here more as I get closer to actually working on the Fairlane.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 302 will be a much easier/better fit as it's parent, the 289 including the Hi-Po, was an original option for it so mounts, radiators etc will be easier to get. By the way if your '68 Cougar really had a 351c in it, it was swapped in. The lineage is: 1968: 289 becomes 302, 1969: 351w introduced, 1970: 351c introduced. Not to worry, all will make good street engines. Hang in and good luck, GL Gordon, South Texas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts