Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...

I figured this was as good a place as any to make my first post. I own a 1967 Fastback that I inhereted from my father that he purchased in 1994. It isn't an all original car by any means but it's all there but the time has come to do something with it or there won't be anything left to restore.

I'm sure I will ask the same questions the new posters before me have asked but I do try and search first. Hopefully I will gain some useful information and can make this Mustang into what it deserves to be.

Many thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am ready to start putting some money into my mustang but it seems I may no longer have a shop/builder. If any members can recommend some place in the mid-south/Memphis-north Mississippi area it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How much do you plan on spending on this? Work that you farm out or do yourself makes a big difference. I did a 66 Coupe, some myself and some farmed out. About $18K when it was done. I'm doing a 68 Cougar now, (make over) about $18K-$20K when done. And those are low prices. Shop location isn't always what to look for. Skill level, how long to do the work, and cost. I know a body shop that does excellent work. But I gutted the car completely and removed the paint, inside and outside, myself. Nice to have a sandblaster nearby.

Attachments

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
67 Posts
My brother is currently neck deep in a 1965 fastback. It was his in-laws car, and sat in a yard for 20+ years. My brother tried to get it from them years ago, but they were hoarders, and would not do anything with it. He finally got it a few months ago, but time and water have eaten it up. He is either going to pay 20K for body and paint work, or just scrap the project and buy something in better shape. We tore it down to the frame, and it is a rust bucket. Tunnel, frame rails, pans are all toast. But he is pretty committed, we shall see. Good luck with your project, first thing to inspect is the pans, undercarriage, and firewall for leaks or rust, and then if it is superficial or cancer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it's to much, call me before you do anything else with it. I have a 69 351W, 4spd looking for a good home. Also make sure and really inspect the cowling area. Big rust area and sometimes hard to fix. But parts are available.

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
67 Posts
And my brother ended up buying another Fastback, a 1965, and selling the rust bucket to a buyer in Detroit. His now one is a GT, 4-Speed, really nice. We are adding power brakes tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts