Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ! I am Grandpa Marc in Hendersonville North Carolina. I have a 63 Ford Falcon convertible with a 289 and four on the floor and also a 255 BOAT ANCHOR in a kit car replica of a 1937 Jaguar SS 100
roadster that I made as close to the original as possible and is often mistaken for the real one !Also a 84 Ford Ranger pick up truck.
Right now,due to age ( teetering on eighty !! ) and health,I am not working on anything and will probably
have to sell everything !
I am currently looking for a distributor for my 255 if anyone has one or knows where I can get one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome. I had to google what a 255 was. Apparently they are in the Windsor family so wondering if the distributer is that unique or if 302, 289, etc. would fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. I had to google what a 255 was. Apparently they are in the Windsor family so wondering if the distributer is that unique or if 302, 289, etc. would fit.
Hi Burt, Thanks for your input. Yes I beleive you are right about the windsor family. The 255 is in it.
The 302 distributor might fit. I need to know what gear the 255 distributor had ,steel or cast.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see Rockauto shows a distributor for a 1981 Thunderbird 255 V8. Several options too. Steel and cast.

Maybe there is a way to tell what cam you have and derive what gear you need from that. Otherwise, you may have to replace the cam and the distributor as a set.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Everything I read says a 255 was not a roller cam and that the steel roller cams came out in 1985. The 255 stopped at the end of 1982 so it should be a cast cam.

You might check around some but I doubt Ford put a high quality cam in the 255.

"Ford developed mild steel distributor gears for use with factory hydraulic-roller-cammed engines. This steel is softer than the ductile iron gears, but harder than bronze, designed for longer life necessary on a factory engine. Relatively harder Chevy hydraulic rollers use a standard iron distributor gear, but at the expense of shortened gear life. The Ford gears, though, are pretty tricky to install since theyre both press-fit and pinned to the shaft."

This quote is from here:https://www.hotrod.com/articles/distributor-gears/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts