Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The cheapie chrome covers will be replaced someday, but they clear the roller rockers and until I find something that I like better, they'll do. I hid all the wiring in the fenderwells and welded up all the factory holes in the engine compartment. Except for that stupid red wire that I got lazy with at the last minute when I needed to overide the fans manually on a really hot day at the track.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 12/30/06 3:45am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 12/30/06 3:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Evenytually I'm gonna re-paint the thing because the paint is getting pretty ratty, but for now, it's got that rough and ready look.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Um..er...if they're new engine shots, how come the date on 'em says 2001?
Nice engine by the way.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sweet, what size is that blower again? That's cool the hood clears and all, has that stealth look..

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a 144, I kinda wish it was a 174, but it gets the job done. It took many different air cleaners and lids and bases to get one that would fit under the scoop. I like it because it is stealthy and nobody knows there is a blower in the car until I step on it. I am thinking of buying my friends Nitrous Works kit and running a plate under the carb. I hope I will still have enough clearnce under the hood. If I do it, I will probably go with a 150-175 shot and run another electric fuel pump along with a one gallon fuel cell where my washer bottle used to go so I can run some C16 when I spray it. That should be enough to get the car right into the mid 10s.

·
Registered
596 Posts
That would be freakin sweet...That would be a nice sleeper ride for sure...man I'm just shooting for 12's at this stage of the game..

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm getting way off topic but what are you running for brakes on your 68?..I'm thinking I'm going to need an upgrade from my manual 4 wheel drums once I install the 408.I was having to brake very hard to make the second return road at my local drag strip running trap speeds of just over 100mph..I'm hoping the 408 will trap about 20mph faster than that.

J-code 306 [email protected] build underway

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 12/31/06 10:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the manual drums on mine and it was not fun to try and stop. I took the power disc brakes off of a '67 Mustang donor car which were 4 piston Kelsey Hayes units versus the 2 piston units used on '68 and later. I was not able to use the calpiers because the pistons were pretty well rusted in the bores and looked to be chrome plated, so I used them as cores and got a set from SSBC which were a snap to put on. Used my same spindles and all I really did was change the brake pedal over to the proper disc brake pedal, added the power booster and upgraded my whole system to stainless steel brake line. The car brakes very well right now and I have no problems slowing it down on the drag strip. I do have to add a vacuum reserve can for the street because with the blower and the cam, sometimes there is not enough vacuum for the power brakes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What, where and who's radiator do you have in there?? Electric fan too?? How about an engine driven fan, do you have one??

Want to know, because I'm putting m 347 in 68 Cougar and engine bay is the same. Haven't decided on cooling yet. Yours looks good.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.aaispeed.com/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=92&osCsid=2735b777ea35e5a3f69ba2dbd1ad7590

The radiator is from a company called Big End. They are excellent radiators and have great prices. The link is to a place on the internet that I found that sells them. As for the fans, I got them from Summit and they are twin Flex-a Lites. They are mounted on front of the radiator because there was no room behind because of the blower crank pulley. They fit into the core support like they were made for it! I machined an aluminum bung and threaded it for a thermostat then tigged it into the side of the radiator so I could turn the fans on and off automatically. No engine driven fan and I can drive around on the hottest days and it cools just fine. I do have an overide switch on the thermost so that if I'm stuck in traffic and the fans haven't kicked in and the temp starts to creep up, I can just turn them on manually.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 1/1/07 8:25pm ]</font>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts