Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

Just bought a 94 Mustang GT coupe,

I seriously think my Duratec V6 in my 03 Taurus is faster, therefore, I'm wondering will a 351W fit in this car?

If it does, it's gonna get stroked, therefore, where is the best place to get a transmission that will handle a well built 408W?

First Mustang I've owned, fun car to drive, but dang, I need more juice out of this thing.

Any advice on getting the 351W to fit? Which components would you recommend? I plan on adding frame connectors and a 3.89:1 rear ratio to the car as well.

I've been pondering adding a supercharger to the bigger engine, if it fits, would I have any issues with fitting a supercharger on a 351W and using the stock hood?

Thanks you all,

When I start this project, I'll post the process, even though it'll be after the new year before I have the budget built up enough.

- Rad

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes a 351 will fit. I would look for a 69-74 351 windsor block they are stronger than late model blocks. If you have the extra money and really want to get silly fast, start with a Dart block.

Do you want an automatic or stick? A supercharger or Turbo will work on a 351.

How much power do you want to make?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My goal was originally 450HP, it still is, but if I make only 425 or so I'll still be happy with that. If a 351W fits, I've got a 69' block I plan on using, AFR 205 heads, and I plan on blowing it. I'm gonna keep the EFI and roller cam, upgrading them of course, I noticed that Ford Racing makes a cam for supercharging for this motor, at least I believe it was FRPP.
Is there a company that makes long tube headers for this kind of swap?

Another thing, I've got an automatic transmission, I'd like to keep it, since I do not wish to go through the hassle of putting in a manual. Any good companies that can handle the upgrade for a high-torque 408W? At least I'm planning for around 400ft/lbs of torque, if not more.

That's the plan for now.

Rad

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A 347 will make your 450hp in a heartbeat...and will avoid the WHOLE mess of a 351 swap. Plus it's much lighter.

If your heart's set on a 351 swap, there's a GREAT write up on how to do it on www.sbftech.com.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,39.0.html

Copy and paste the link, the comma throws it all to hell for a quick link.

Cris

·
Registered
343 Posts
If 450 HP is your rough goal, you don't NEED a 351 to do that and you sure don't need forced induction on a 351 to get there. With that said displacement does make streetable power easier than a smaller engine that has to rev higher.

If you are planning to stroke the 351 out to a 408 or so, you can have an easy 450HP and a very street friendly engine N/A. Still it's your car and your money; do what you want with it. Just hate to see you spend a lot more money than you need to if 450 is your goal. Also remember to strengthen the frame and upgrade the brakes while you are at it. Power doesn't mean much if you can't stop or if you twist it into a pretzel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just thought 450 HP was a nice streetable number for a car...so you're saying I can get more...Hmmmm...thinking.

I've heard of 302 blocks splitting around 450 HP - 500 HP, so that's why I thought a 351 block would be nice, and since I have to rebuild it anyway, it'll get stroked, it's cheap performance if one has to rebuild anyway.

I just don't want to get carried away with power, how much streetable power can I get away with in a 408W? There will be no noise coming out of the exhaust and I don't want any lopey engine vibrations, for two reasons: first I like sleepers, and two I don't think the MAF can handle much of a lope.

How much "power" will the Mustang handle before I really start pushing the stock drivetrain's limits?

Will the 8.8 handle the torque of such a set-up? Do they make 35 spline axles for this rear-end? Could I get away with 31 splines?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The MAF can't handle a 408 cube 351. You're going to need a LOT more fuel to feed that thing, and the calibration's going to be WAY off.

As far as sleeper, it's going to sound different for sure. And as far as streetable...well. My 396/408 is going to be streetable, with 11.5:1 compression, a nasty solid roller, 210-230cc heads, and anywhere from 575-650hp. Streetable to me, means it doesn't overheat in traffic. Anything else can be endured. For you it may be different. By the way, even a mild 408 is going to destroy your trans, whether it be t-5 or aod. 408's make torque, without even breathing hard. Torque is what kills parts.

Anyhow, you have a LOT of reading to do before attemtping this, if you're planning on the 351. My honest advice, is to build a nice 350-400hp 331/347...it's going to be easier on your drivetrain, and still going to be more than fast enough to plant a smile on your face. Once you get some real experience under your belt, then building a nice 408 will be a whole lot more reasonable.

Remember, 400hp CAN put you in the 11's, if you're setup works. That's pretty damn fast.

Cris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm starting to lean towards a 331, and set it up for supercharging in the latter stages.

That's been the new thoughts anyway. The frame has been modified, new frame connectors and torque box plates are now welded in.

Next, I'm hitting the rear-end, with some 31 spline axles and 3.89:1 ratio.

I have an axle code of M, why would someone order a GT with 2.73 gears?

Another question: what kind of transmission in in my 94? It's automatic and I know it's electronic, but I thought E4OD's were rather big for a car? Whatever the transmission, how "strong" is it? Will it hold up to a higher torque/hp engine? Any ballpark figures as of how much more?

For those that are curious, I put the 'Stang against the Taurus (24V Duratec), all I can say: I was wrong, the 'Stang smacked the hell out of the Taurus, I even drove the Taurus, so I wasn't biased, as much as one can be. The front-wheel drive makes it "feel" like there is more torque off the line, but it just wasn't the case and it never caught up to the 'Stang. Gas mileage is even close: 24mpg for the Stang/25mpg for the Taurus, so I was happy about that. That's only road mileage, in town driving, I don't have a clue, don't really care either.

-Rad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts