Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's kinda rusty, the brakes pull hard to the right, nasty clutch chatter on takeoff... But I love the 3 on the tree and little straight 6 engine. This is after I drove it 65 miles home and washed it with degreaser. And yes, I still have the 69 LTD haha

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I haven't had much time to work on the Falcon, but we're moving in 2 weeks to a house with a garage! Good reason to learn how to weld... Floorpans are pretty bad in front of the front seats, and the roof is rusty.
I know it needs at least a clutch kit because of the bad shakes, any advice on parts? Maybe worth trying to do myself? Also, the z-bar is missing a felt washer and whatnot, so I'm looking at buying the repair kit, is any one of the Falcon parts companies better than the others?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
first chances are that you have the 8 1/2" clutch, which means the the flywheel has a recessed area where the disc and pressure plate sits, much like a VW has. so with that in mind, here is a thread you want to read carefully as it has several options you can choose from when rebuilding your clutch;

FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • View topic - Small Six 215mm Clutch and Presure Plate info

the second thing i suggest is to replace the stock 2.77 three speed trans with a later 3.03 trans when you have the time and money to do so. the 2.77 tends to break, usually second gear. i have broken one personally. i think the thread i linked to has a clutch option for the 3.03 as well, though they used the flat 9" flywheel instead.

one other thing that contributes to clutch chatter though is the leaf spring transmission mount. for parts check out this site;

Ford Parts For Ranchero, Falcon, Fairlane, Galaxi, Torino & Mercury Comet - Ford Parts

they have a lot of falcon parts. also check out

Ford Parts, Classic Car Parts, Truck Parts and Services by Auto Krafters-Mustang Auto Parts Too!

one more thing as you probably already know, many mustang parts fit the falcon as well.

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's more of a strong shaking than chatter Id say but I'll start looking more hopefully next week. Can feel it through the whole car...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It's more of a strong shaking than chatter Id say but I'll start looking more hopefully next week. Can feel it through the whole car...
its really the same thing. what is happening is that the clutch is engaging and disengaging quickly due to the springs in the pressure plate bouncing for a variety of reasons. its just like wheel hop, except its the clutch.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it's most likely just the clutch kit that needs to be replaced? (And flywheel resurfaced...) Is there a way to tell what clutch I need before taking it apart?
Sorry for all the newbie questions, this is the first Falcon I've owned.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
other than supposition, not really. my 64 falcon has the recessed as did my old 66 falcon. but mustangs had a running change when they went to the synchronized first gear where they also went to the flat flywheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts