Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 70 Fairlane, it shipped from IL to TX on one of those car carriers. It was fine the whole time I have owned it, and when they loaded it up, but after being delivered, the new owner says it is smoking out the tail pipes a white gray color. it was loaded and parked on an incline so i dont know if all the oil in the front sump of the pan ran to the rear. It was a old holman moody deep front sump oil pan with 11qts of oil. he changed the plugs and ran it for a couple minutes and said it still smoked?

what could have caused this issue during transport?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Crappy fuel or abuse. I've heard of that before. Either the carrier guys had fun redlining it at some truck stop, or the new owner did. You took the keys from the carrier and mailed them to the new owner, or let the carrier take them? ;) It doesn't have to be driven to rev it to damage, and I saw that at a car show once when the owner really wrapped it up in neutral and there came the smoke. No matter - once you loaded it, you are done with the sale. If you are being completely honest about the condition when it left you, then you can relax about it. Bummer for him, and I would suggest he file a claim with the carrier after a tank of the best fuel he can get. The carrier will likely be happy to testify it wasn't smoking when you loaded it.

David

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
The carrier I used to ship the Falcon back from NJ had to have the keys to be able to move the car around as needed for other drop offs.

Jet

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Nothing they could have done to it in the 2 week trip could make it start smoking unless they burnt out the rings by driving it there all the way in 1st gear at about 7500 rpm's non stop.

Smoking is a factor of worn parts long life span or Too Much Humidity. It could be Fuel, jetted wrong form the Texas plains, etc...

Have them take it to a shop and get a TRUE ID on the smoke, is it Coolant- blue/white, is it Oil- blue/black, is it Fuel- black/white.

Not enough info to go off of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts