Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to the forum and a Galaxie owner as of yesterday morning. I have a 67 390 with auto tranny. Here is a list of the problems and what I have found so far:

1. Reverse lights inop. Think it is the switch but cannot find one except on ebay. Want to find a good parts source.

2. Right front brake locks up when the car is cold when applying the brake. Once the car warms up the problem goes away. Not sure of this issue. Thinking bad wheel cylinder or proportioning valve. Thoughts or experience with this issue appreciated.

3. Hood is rusted through in a couple of spots. Have looked all over and found not one. Seems the 67 is unique from all other years from what I have seen. Is there a company that makes repro sheet metal? Have not found one yet. Any help appreciated.

Now to the car. As I said it is a 67 Galaxie 500. Completely stock except a couple of hose clamps with 53,000 miles. I got an original 1970 title and the original bill of sale. It also came with the original book and folder to hold it. Looking to restore to original. Sat out in the el paso sun so the paint is shot but it has no dents or dings and very little rust. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum and being a new Galaxie owner!!
Is the reverse lights inop or can you move the shift lever a little, like hold it up and they will work. I'm a '64 owner so not sure how sloppy shifters are on '67s. Or is it floor shift? Have you tried adjusting it?

The brake problem could be moisture in the shoes like mine used to do before changing shoes or could be a wheel cylinder or something. You might be able to check for leakage by looking on the back side to see if there is moisture in the dirt and grime with out removing the wheel and all. Is it drum or disc on the front?

Far as i know they don't repop hoods unless they have fiberglass ones somewhere. You will have to find one on ebay or junkyard or even Craigslist. I can't remember how far El Paso is from Almagordo NM, there used to be a yard there with a lot of old cars. Other wise there is a few other yards that have older cars you might find one. I will have to find the info on them. Unless someone here has the info on hand.
Here's one place with panels and such but don't think they have hoods, you will have to check. I'll edit this with others when i gather the info.
http://www.blackcar-llc.com/
www.dvap.com
www.bigmauto.com
www.ctcautoranch.com/ They have pics and there are a few '67s here.
www.hiddenvalleyautoparts.com/
www.turnersautowrecking.com/

Parts
Dearbornclassics.com
macsautoparts.com
rockauto.com
cgfordparts.com

Are a couple parts places to check and always check your local parts stores first unless you are wanting nos parts.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Welcome to FM.

You got a lot of crap wrong. Why not fix one part at a time?

Your brakes need inspected, flushed, adjusted and tested.

Your rust is silly, all galaxies have a little... LOL ;) (deal with rust in another thread)

Backup lights come from the Neutral Safety Switch on that car.

the 67 body sheet metal is unique :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a column shift. I will have to try the hold it up trick. The brakes are drum all the way around. Do not think it is moisture here in El Paso but you never know. I am taking all the brakes apart this weekend to find that out. Will post my findings once I get it all fixed. The reverse light switch I found was over 100 bucks....OUCH!. I guess those are not easy to find. Might have to piss off my wife and buy it anyway. I am about 2 hours from Alamogordo so I will give it a look after i scour the yards here for the hood. Wish me luck. The parts sources you gave me I have already checked. Even ebay doesnt have one. Thought you could find anything on ebay. Thanks for the response. Gives me a good starting point. Havent wrenched in some time now. Going to get in deep now though.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Yeah those Neutral Safety Switches are big $$. First test the circuit to the bulbs, maybe the wire is broken. Put 12 v to the black wire w red stripe coming out of the NSS. If the lights come on, try adjusting the switch. Loosen the nuts and with the shifter in R and key on, rotate the switch until the back up lights come on, then tighten. Now, that rotation might screw up the starting circuit (red wire w blue stripe) but you can bypass that till you find a better deal on the switch. Of course your backup plan is to read the manual (pic).

Brakewise, I'm thinking the left hose is plugged up. Crack open the bleeder on that side and have someone press the pedal one time and see if you get a good squirt of fluid. Tighten the bleeder before letting up on the pedal to prevent air from getting sucked back in.. Compare with the right side. If not squirting as well, replace the hose. If the hose is not the problem, well I guess as a last resort you can do what FEandGoingBroke says... :)

New hood? Bondo that hole and take the opportunity to add some art to this cruel drab world (pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys thanks for the input and the link. Beings the car has not a dent or ding bondo is a 4 letter word. Will cut it out and replace the sheet metal if I cannot find a good hood within 2 hours of here. Going to dive in this weekend and chase down all the problems. Gotta pass inspection and start driving on Tuesday. I getting all giddy about it. 390 ci of fun under foot. Next 4 day weekend I am yankin the motor and tranny for a re-gasket. My wrench hand is gettin itchy. Will post pics this weekend of the car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Pulled the master cylinder cap today and wow. How much crap can float in a master cylinder. Going to drain it out and bleed the brakes tomorrow. Couldnt find help today. If that doesnt fix it then I will replace the hoses. I did however fix my power steering leak. I did find another issue with the e-brake. Everything is hooked up but it will not lock down. Whatever holds it when applied is gone. Going to try and remedy that too tomorrow. Come hell or high water I will drive it to work on Tuesday.

I also found the original warranty card from 1967 tucked neatly inside the clip in the glove box. Definately confirmed 2 owner car.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
You can pass inspection without backup lights?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
NJ doesn't check back up lights.

But, they failed my 94 TBird once because I installed a factory rear spoiler, with a light, and they said I had too many lights!!

I removed the bulb from the light on the rear package tray and passed.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yep, ya can putts... (unless you have an ass like JC has to deal with) The book (inspection) doesnt have anything about back up lights in it. BUT wipers are required but a windshield is not :rolleyes: .

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
they failed my 94 TBird once because I had too many lights!!
Actually I am glad to see something like that. At night I hate pulling behind a BMW with those giant orange 1,000 lumen strobe turn signals BLINKING..BLINKING.. BLINKING.. Argghhhh.. it makes me go blind!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting ready to go do the brake thing. Gonna put my 9 year old behind the pedal. Class is IN! Time to pass on the sickness of wrench turnin....hopefully he doesnt run my carcas over.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Actually I am glad to see something like that. At night I hate pulling behind a BMW with those giant orange 1,000 lumen strobe turn signals BLINKING..BLINKING.. BLINKING.. Argghhhh.. it makes me go blind!
I don't disagree, but all I did was add one small light that was part of the spoiler.

To me, they went overboard just a bit.

They once failed my LS because of a factory installed small sticker placed low on the passenger side corner of the windshield.

I went to the office to complain, and they sent a guy out with a scraper. He scraped it off and passed the car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In Texas back up lights are not required to pass inspection. A parking brake is however and mine does not work. Anybody know what models have interchangeable parking brakes with the Galaxie. Galaxies in El Paso seem to be few and far in between. Might be able to fix it myself. Neighbor has a welder and the spring catch is what is broken off. Might be able to tac a piece on to hold it in place. Works when it is on. Here are a few pics of the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Is that a convertible or a painted top?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Putts that is a painted top. I think it came like that. I really need to decode tag and find out exactly. 99% sure that it is all original though.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Putts that is a painted top. I think it came like that. I really need to decode tag and find out exactly. 99% sure that it is all original though.

numbers might not always show how the car was delivered...ou 65 was givine to me by my neighbor Ben, he ordered a blue with white top LTD from his brothers dealership in New York...Ben flew to NY and drove it home, aside from documented repairs, the car was original.

when I pulled the trim off the roof to repaint the checked white top, found the trim had been masked off/top painted white - obviously his brother just had a blue LTD in stock, and sprayed the roof white... but that was how the car was sold as new... doubt it was a uncommon thing for dealers to do back then.

these cars were a bit sloppily assembled too, when I pulled the carpet, found a bunch of nuts/bolts stuck in the sound deadener, and a 12"x 2" woodgrain trimmed aluminum piece like the one on the glovebox...betcha Ben always wondered what that bump in the carpet was from :)
Tim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts