Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago we were discussing the 6.0, and somebody said ford had a new powerstroke, a twin turbo 6.5 or something. I have heard of it other places too. Anybody know when that will be coming out?

Im not about to buy one or something, but just wondering when Ford will get away from the 6.0

·
Registered
712 Posts
The new engine is a twin turbo 6.4L(small feeding large) basically a bored out 6.0L block. Ford is using a common rail fuel injection with piezo-electric injectors (more like a gas engine) that is supposed to start in less than 2 seconds even in -20 deg weather
. It is supposed to be the cleanest and quietest Ford diesel ever, Ford even made as exhaust particulate filter to catch soot.
I was told by a friend that Ford WAS going to release them in late '07 but was forced to delay production because the engines kept blowing bottom ends. I don't know if that is true or not, but would be funny
if it was.
I think I would wait for a couple of years before buying one if it was me, Ford is STILL trying to work out the bugs in the 6.0L, Ford is even having problems out of the '06 engines.
Coking turbos, sticking or otherwise inop VGT's, coking egr valves, head gaskets, high pressure oil leaks, fuel pumps, injectors, IPR, ICP, EBP, programming issues, base engine problems, EGR cooler leaks. What's next for the 6.4L?
Great, maybe customers (after buying the truck) should reserve a spot in a Ford Service department.

Well, I'm done, Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right, Montego, some guys just do not get it: V-8 engines were never intended to operate on the DIESEL PRINCIPLE: I-6's (ala Cummins) are perfect for diesel use

PS: Maybe customers ordering new Ford trucks should reserve a spot at the custom speed shop for an aftermarket Dodge Cummins 5.9/six-speed-manual installation. Just tell the dealer to "delete" the engine and "transmission" on the special-order sheet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stangdude65 on 12/22/06 7:22am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stangdude65 on 12/22/06 7:40am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stangdude65 on 12/22/06 7:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
14 Posts
GM had this problem in the late 1970's when they "tried" unsuccesfully to convert gas V-8's for diesel fuel consumption: the BOONDOGGLE of the 20th Automotive Century!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is too bad Ford never had the privilege to sport the Cummins under the hood esp. with a six-speed manual transmission: there would be absolutlely no "bugs" to work out on an I-6 diesel engine design which has been proven in commercial trucks for over 75 years, and runnin'.

Automatic transmissions have no business in trucks either: gas or diesel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stangdude65 on 12/22/06 7:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I just purchased a new 06' powerstroke, it runs great. I do agree that the cummins is a great engine (i have a 93). I fact during my shopping for a new truck I was talking with some friends and we came up with the best truck

A Ford Chassis and body, a GM 6 speed auto (allison) and A Dodge 5.9 (cummins). If the could all get together it would be awsome !!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
The international T444E (7.3 powerstroke) is a damn good engine, the one in my F350 has 216,000 miles on it and it's still running great.

I fail to see why a V8 is unsuited to a diesel application.

Greg

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The reason the olds 350 failed as diesel conversion was for the simple reason that it was a gas based engine. You cant take a Ranger frame and make it a one ton truck by adding more springs. YOu cant take a gas engine and make it a diesel by upping the compression. Just doesnt work that way.

V8 diesels are a fine design. The reason you dont find many V-8s in the OTR trucks is the width. The packaging of a 6 cyl in an OTR truck is so much simpler. They are also a bit lighter, and with every pound worth money on a big rig, shave it where ya can.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
You wont ever see a Cummings in a Ford kinda like if you look under the hood of any ford diesel it will always say international because ford owns international and dodge owns cummings from what I have heard so there will be no such contract ending.

·
Registered
712 Posts
OMFG...I just saw up close photos of all the 6.4L systems and what they do.
Talk about 10 pounds of s&!t in a 5 pound bag
, we have to have soooooo many special tools to work on these things: turbo lift brackets, seal installers, caps, plugs, etc. I just hope Ford gets this one right and we don't have another 6.0L dilemma on our hands.

WTF Ford? I've got a headache now from just looking at it

Is Ford's goal to make their trucks the hardest to work on in the industry
, it sure looks like it from what I'm seeing.
Chris.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
The 06 and 07 6.0 is a good motor, they are referred to as Job 2 or commonized. Basically they revised the head, injectors, injector retainers and o-rings, head gasket, turbo, and rear main seal amongst a few other Ford only improvements.

Its not as quiet as it was when it came out, it had pilot injection then, but now its common to the proven VT365 in the med duty trucks. Pretty much the ugly ones were the early ones, many many many on the road that are running well now.

I loved the 7.3, but the 6.0 is a very strong motor

The new 6.4 wont be too far removed from the 6.0, so probably best to give it some time for growing pains IMO

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ha, that's crap, Ford's still seeing problems with the '06-'07 engines. Also, there arent THAT many changes in the '03-'07. They still have the head gasket, turbo, injector,high pressure oil pump, and other problems as the early models. Granted, not as many, but there are still problems with newer ones. IMHO, the 6.0 is junk, they run good, but have too many problems. I just hope Ford/International did their homework on the 6.4, and hopefully we won't have as many (if any) problems out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
I wouldnt expect much more, the design is the same, only the injection and turbos are significantly different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ford truck engines apart from Rangers are crap crap crap.

O to see the day with a Cummins.

My grandfather has driven a big (18 wheel) truck for 50 years, and he swears by Cummins as the most reliable, leaky, powerful engines.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The reason the 7.3 was discontinued in the 250's & 350's was due mostly to EPA regulations. The T444E just was not going to meet future EPA regulations for light & medium duty pickups. A smaller cu in engine would fare better in using less fuel, yet be more efficient and produce just as much, if not more, power/torque, so the 6.0 was built. The bad part is that the 6.0 was introduced wayyy too soon, before it could be fully tested. Ford was in a mad rush to stay ahead in the light & medium duty diesel pickup category. The 2003 models had a lot of problems. I personally know of about 5 of my friends who have diesel pickups. 2 are Dodges (one is a 1998.5 the other is a 2004) and the rest are Fords. The Ford TRUCK is a MUCH, MUCH nicer/tougher truck, but the Powerstroke engine just is not and will never match a 5.9 Cummins in terms of reliability. Basically, if you want a good truck, you get a Ford...if you want a cheap POS truck with a great engine, get a Dodge. The GM trucks aren't even in the ballpark, they are in a 'league of their own' so to speak...and they always have been.

So now Ford is introducing a 6.4. I just hope they did their homework with them. I love Ford pickups but I will never own a diesel Ford, mainly because of the expense, but also because of the tarnished image that the 6.0 gives. Having driven most of them (GM, Ford, Dodge) I can say that the 6.0 does run good...but it's power is not low end grunt like the 5.9 Cummins. The 6.0 just doesn't work well with a standard transmission; it "likes" an automatic where the torque converter will allow it to rev a little bit. Hopefully the 6.4 will solve that...but I seriously doubt it as the EPA reguards a vehicle with an auto cleaner than the same vehicle with a manual. And we all know that the EPA comes down hard on manufacturers if they can't meet regs.

IMO, the 6.8 V10 is a better engine (for what I do) than the 6.0. Less expensive initially, less expensive for regular maintenance, and gas costs less than diesel, even though "supposedly" diesel trucks get better fuel mileage. That fact (or myth) is not 100% true..EVERY 6.0 truck I've driven has gotten 12-16 MPG at best and 10-12 fully loaded. One was a dually pulling about 9400 lbs on the trailer, the other was a 250 single wheel 4x4 pulling ~5000 lb tractors on a 2200 lb trailer. My Lightning gets the same mileage pulling the race car around....and is a lot cheaper to maintain. For what I do, the gas engines are much better choice. Oh...and the myth that diesels last longer? Well...I think the 6.0 has proven that to be false.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts