Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mileage Maker 6. 223. You are right.

And I may not have to convince him it's cool. He thinks four doors are cool so he might already think 6 cylinders are cool.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No doubt. I have never driven one either. Going to pay for the parts car tomorrow. I was going to do it today but we went to Crater Lake. 105 in Medford. Yikes.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Okay, I got the parts car. It has been sitting for two years and someone was kind enough to steal the gas a long time ago so I didn't have to drain the tank. I just added 3 gallons of super, new battery and checked the points. The guy that sold it to me said he put a new cap and points on it before he parked it. I checked them and they both look really good. I hit the cap and points with sandpaper. I sprayed some staring fluid it in and it turned over. I poured gas in the carb and it ran until it ran out of gas. I am not getting gas to the carb. replaced the line and filter between the pump and carb. The filter stayed dry. No gas to the carb. Okay it needs a fuel pump. I took the pump off and put my fingers over it and worked it by hand. It felt like it was making suction so I reinstalled it. Still nothing. My dad said I should think about a electric fuel pump. Sounds easy. Is there anything I need to know before I get a electric fuel pump? Are block off plates pretty standard?

Also, the line out of the fuel tank was wet so it might be sucking air. I'll have more time Friday.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It doesn't matter if they stole the gas they didn't get all of it. What is left may have gelled into a gooey carb killer even with a filter.
Mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
Any way to jury rig a small gas can under the hood to draw fuel from? Could be plugged pickup in the tank if the pump works.

Good luck on the project and keep the thread updated. My son and I did an 89 Camaro IROC for his 16th birthday, the car eventually ended up with a 500+hp 6L EFI motor. He moved to a 99 Vette after than one, all before turning 20.

The six won't get him into trouble as fast as the 390 but it's not just the motor that leads to trouble. :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bet he would be the only one in school driving a 3 on the tree.
Mike
I had a 63 econoline with the 3 on the tree, and everytime I had passengers, when I would shift, they were totally confused and say "what the heck are you doing". I loved that thing...

I would leave it in if I were you, you just don't see that anymore.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Any way to jury rig a small gas can under the hood to draw fuel from? Could be plugged pickup in the tank if the pump works.
My dad was in High School in the late 50's He said him and his friends would steal gas and they would run their car from a five gallon can in the front seat.

I'd like to drive the car home and then pull the tank to get boiled. I can get it done for $100 at the local radiator shop.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Remove the hose going TO the FP from the tank, take off tank cap, blow compressed air into the fuel tank until it comes out. then your FP will work again.

If it DON'T then simply replace the fuel pump. They often feel like they're working in your hand but not enough eccentric throw from the cam unless it's a new pump.

Unhook the line at the FP? So I will be blowing fuel though the line to the pump right?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Okay I was looking for a rebuild kit for the 223 carb today. Just doing a little research. I got a shop manual download from someone on this forum last week. It lists my carb as a Holley C2AE-9510-B. I cant find this listed as the carb in any other source. I have found 9510C or D or U or Z or J... I found sites that list the carbs for 223 all the way up to 61 or from 1927 up to 1953.

I also found that the carbs were different for cars with a vacuum line or something. (Don't remember where I read that.)

So, anyone know which carb rebuild kit I need?

62', mileage maker 223, 3 on the tree.

My dad is coming over tomorrow so I am planning to get the parts car home. :)

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I got the hardtop running with my dad today. I'd bring it home but his motorhome and boat are in the driveway. The car actually ran pretty good for sitting for two years. I drove it around the parking lot a few times testing the brakes and letting the car idle.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I restored my 62 xl.It took me 7 yrs but my daughter passed away during that time so.....It knocked me for a loop.No need to do a frame off if body mounts are solid.I did all the work on my 62 except cruise-o-matic tranny rebuild(700.00).I rebuild a 390 out of a merc station wagon.YOU CAN DO IT!.
I was just reading through this thread and saw your post, i had to write something. . . . . . . 7 years is a long time, . . . but what really hit me was your loss.
Im sorry my brother

L

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Update: I'm taking the front end apart. I had to paint the frame where I removed the rust just to keep it from re-rusting.........Don't look at my mess.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts