Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 63 Falcon.
The gal I got it from said someone said they could turn it into a hotrod for her in a month.
Well............. 6 years later, a few thousand dollars, multiple tows and impounds, she couldn't wait to get rid of it. And then along comes me

The first guy shoehorned a 351C 2v into it, then disapeared.
2nd guy hooked up a 4 speed and a 9" rear, then disapeared.
3rd guy got it running and drove it a couple miles before it died. He seemed to think it was the carb. Told her it ran good, but the front end was shacky.

I tried to turn it over in her driveway, but figured a better deal would be at hand if it wasn't running.
Sooooo, offered her $500 to take it off her hands.

The plans are to turn it into a gasser style drag car.
Straight axle the front, tub the back, and give it that cool stance ready for fight.

If any of you have ideas, tips, or spare parts you'd like to donate, please feel free.

here are couple pic's.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slick mo fo on 8/24/06 5:16am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slick mo fo on 8/25/06 1:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
500 bucks, and it's already got a Cleveland and 4-spd in it? That's a friggin steal!! I'm jealous.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Looks like a fun project especially for only $500. Did someone hack up the shock towers to get that 351C in there?
It's not a '63 though but an early '62 like mine. Later '62s had the "Thunderbird" roof.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 8/24/06 11:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right Jim, it's a 62....
The towers are there, but the exhaust manifold is an RCH away from hitting.

Woody, that link took me to that sites topic list.
I'd like to see how you had it set up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried again, looks like you might of had a picture in there from the other comments I read. Can you post it on this site? Some how the pic got lost.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Oh sorry LOL you cant see attachements unless a member, let me see if I can get em here

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looks like you got a great deal Slick mo fo!!
Falcons are cool. That little car should haul with a 351C in it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the plan.....

Hey Wood, how did you have that front end set up?

·
Registered
991 Posts
well it was a little crazy, the front end is stretched, its a 2x3 full frame car, built in what we think was the late 70's early 80's. The front end had a 1 piece custom glass tilt front end. It had a 428 in it at one time. All custom one off type stuff. The firewall, floor and tubs are 1/4 inch aluminum, removeable trans tunnel etc..

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Jeeze,ya think the rear wheelwells are big enough? The 26X11.50x15's on my Falcon would be lost on that car. Looks like it has potential though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree that Falcons are cool. I got a '62 Ranchero that's sitting waiting. It's got a very tired 260 in it with a 3-speed stick. I've got a spare 302 that's decent. We'll see.

I remember seeing a pretty slick sectioned early Falcon in some Ford book I used to have. I think Holman & Moody built it. 289, dual quads, 4-speed.

Too many dreams, not enough money.

·
Registered
777 Posts
~slight thread hijack~

I have a 1960 falcon wagon that someday will get a modernization. It is a 6 cylinder/2 speed auto car right now. I do have a 289/c4 out of a '66 Fairlane that I plan on sticking in it (probably also narrow the 8" that is in it now for the falcon.) Problem is, what kind of front suspension parts are required to stick 5 lug wheels and better brakes on it?

ps. cool falcons. My pa has a '63 he races.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Kid, it's not a high Jack if ya stay on topic.

From what I've been hearing, allot of the parts from a 70's Granada or a Maverick will bolt right on.
I'm looking for a donor car with a 250, a C4, & 8" to transfer in to my gals 61 Comet.
Plus the master brake cylinder from a 68 stang will bolt right in and really helps the stopping.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slick mo fo on 8/25/06 9:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those of you that have gone down this road, what did you do to the frame to keep it from twisting? and around what horsepower or torque should I even worry about frame mod's and cross members?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts