Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What else should I have expected huh. I think I can save it. The holes drilled on the driver side flange are not to the outside enough to clear the condenser bolts coming through from the front. Thats easy enough to fix with the grinder. At least the radiator bolt holes line up so thats something.

The other problem is a bit more serious. The radiator flanges do not set the radiator back enough and it hits the condenser/dryer?(round canister thing) on the driver side. I think I can back the bolts out some and shim that with washers and get it to clear.

I haven't filled it up and run the engine yet. Alls I need now is for it to leak. Yikes I jinxed it. Think positive thoughts, ohmmmmmm, radiator will be great, cool wonderfully and best of all, it will be leak free. I was using this somewhat as a test to look at buying another one for the mustang. I won't be buying another Champion radiator.

Feel free to post your parts don't fit horror stories here.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
...and that's why I just like the generic 'race' versions, as the fit with a 'bolt-in' is a maybe at best. The expensive ones may do better, but even they are iffy with all the variations they face. With a generic version, I know I'm modding, but it will be light and straightforward. Just got a nice one in for the Ranger. It'll be a hack 'n whack to get it recessed further forward, and down between the frame rails, and leave room for the water/air intercooler and hoses, and the trans cooler too. Ha. This will NOT be a bolt-in. LOL... Wish me luck.

David

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its working. I had to use 3 washers to shim the condenser out enough so it doesn't hit the radiator core. Rounded out those 2 bolt holes and it went in. Holding my breath, I filled it up and fired up the ugly truck. No leaks. I don't know how its going to perform yet. I had to can the old shroud so I have no shroud on it right now. It occurs to me that this is also the time to install my external transmission cooler so that is next and then hopefully I can get back to re-assembling my car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts