Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building a new shop. I bought a large tent, 775 sq ft. It is rated for 11" snow load. We will frame and sheet rock the inside but it will be separate from the tent. The floor is 3/4" OSB laid directly on crushed gravel with a vapor barrier a course. The reason for a tent is no building permit required. I'm located in Germany. My car, 64 1/2 Mustang is sitting in a rented garage 25 miles away. I need to get my project home after many years. I used to post here a few years ago. Here are a couple pics of the Shent, shop-tent.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott, nice to see you posting and nice setup you got but DO NOT EVER OVERESTIMATE the snow cap of that frame!

I see similar styles here and they collapse with 6 inches after a day of sleet and rain.

Just be careful with your baby. :)
I will have provisions built in for emergency overload situations. I will post pic's as we get further along.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We stared framing in the walls this weekend. My dog claimed the truck and all the contents as "Her's". I have ordered recessed LED lights. They will pay off just with the energy savings. Here's a couple pic's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Scott, I was watching a video a few day's ago of this and that and I gotta ask. When you were chain sawing the timbers out, did a HUGE portion of the roof collapse inward and get caught on Video?

I saw it as 4:10 of some dang video but it was very short and a guy on a ladder on an outside wall was cutting a roof truss and BLINK pa large part of the mostly stripped bare roof fell inward.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott, I was watching a video a few day's ago of this and that and I gotta ask. When you were chain sawing the timbers out, did a HUGE portion of the roof collapse inward and get caught on Video?

I saw it as 4:10 of some dang video but it was very short and a guy on a ladder on an outside wall was cutting a roof truss and BLINK pa large part of the mostly stripped bare roof fell inward.
Not sure what your talking about there? My wood was purchased from a saw mill. It is all still standing. I don't think it will be coming down anytime soon. I know your a little twisted some times Gary. Thanks for following. Scott

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have not seen any material other than asphalt shingles or metal that will hold up to the sun and weather. Even that rubberized RV roof material breaks down in less than 7 years. Awning material is about the same.

I think you will be re-canvassing that from time to time and hopefully before you spring a leak.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Not sure what your talking about there? My wood was purchased from a saw mill. It is all still standing. I don't think it will be coming down anytime soon. I know your a little twisted some times Gary. Thanks for following. Scott
I'm always twisted...
But this was while the walls were standing in the video... Someone was taking a roof off a building IDENTICAL to yours that butted up against a house Identical to yours.
It wasn't utter distruction simp[ly an unexpected twist in dropping part of a roof into the center of a building.

Same color same connection angle, same roof pitch...

If I could remember the vid I'd find it and post it and at 4:10 you would say, "hey, that looks like my place..." :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not seen any material other than asphalt shingles or metal that will hold up to the sun and weather. Even that rubberized RV roof material breaks down in less than 7 years. Awning material is about the same.

I think you will be re-canvassing that from time to time and hopefully before you spring a leak.
In 7 years I hope that all interested party's are not interested any more. They will accept this as a normal thing and have no interest in it. I will then throw metal around it. Once they get used to it being there then no complaints will be filed. I just have to keep the neighbors happy and no phone calls will be made. Make sense?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
was the walls and rafters nailed or screwed to each other ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts