Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gotta know what to look forward to in doing a stereo upgrade in my 64. I want a face off Pioneer Premier that would match the interior nice. Has anyone done the aftermarket head unit in a 63 or 64 that can offer some advice? Obviously I have to cut the dash, but aside from that, is there any snags? Also, any speaker location suggestions?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
First off...Its your money and your car. I'm not trying to make a value judgement or arguing with you choice...But I have to ask:

Are you sure you want to cut the dash? I know its not the perfect solution, but on cars not supported by aftermarket faceplates it may be better to find an alternate solution.

Alternatives might be either to install it in the glove box, under dash, in or on the console or even under the seat.

Other solutions might be to have a specialty shop remove the am radio faceplate and use it as a cover for a hidden modern unit.

Obviously there are either expense, drawback...but once the dash is cut up, its pretty much impossible to return to stock (other than to swap the dash).

Just from the ascetic point of view a modern unit will stand out like a Duchess in a whore house.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya, but returning to stock isn't a big concern. I'm looking really hard and only found 1 or 2 face plates that could work without looking too modern. I've seen under 100 dollar units (all black) go in and look stupid. My brother had suggested having one pop out of the speaker vent on top, but I was kinda ???

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm telling you check out the tech forum on installing an mp3 player or cd player without cutting much of anything. I installed the amp in the trunk, 2 6x9 speakers in the package tray and ran the output from the amp under the carpet to the front of the car and now have an input for an mp3 or cd player without doing anything more than enlarging a hole in the under side of the metal part of the dash to accept and switch. I got a small console unit out of a 4 speed merc and modified it to hold the players and the cds in the box part and I think it looks pretty nice. It was a simple fix and gives you everything you want but radio.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I installed a Secret Audio system in my Gal. Sounds great, 10 disc changer in trunk, no modifications to the dash at all.

·
Registered
95 Posts

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dotcentral on 7/17/06 3:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The Galaxie, exspecially those with the dash trim would be a bugger to cut since you have to cut the trim also. Thing is the trim plate on the CD player would not work well with how big the opening in the trim would have to be. I considered this when doing the stereo in my car also. I had/have no plan on ever putting the car back to stock so the whole in the dash didn 't disuade me. The difficulty in getting the dash trim cut so it would look good disuaded me. If you have no dash trim I say cut it up! If you do have dash trim go with hidden audio or an underdash setup such as I ended up using.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gbeeler on 7/14/06 1:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, probably going to do the secretaudio thing, but may try the underdash if I can hide it better. I don't want to see the casing of the stereo and wires/ brackets everywhere. We have moved on from the 80's. Was kinda thinking fabbing a sleeve, painting it black and sliding it in there, but straight, not slanted like so many are.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm going to get the new Secret Audio USA6. No cassette, RCAs in and out so I can hook up my iPod and out to an amp. Local stereo place quotes me $299 CDN. I'm tired of AM!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
On 2006-07-13 11:09, 64GALAXIE514 wrote:
Ya, probably going to do the secretaudio thing, but may try the underdash if I can hide it better. I don't want to see the casing of the stereo and wires/ brackets everywhere. We have moved on from the 80's. Was kinda thinking fabbing a sleeve, painting it black and sliding it in there, but straight, not slanted like so many are.
the only thing you see on the Secret Audio is the small faceplate. Real clean looking, and can tilt it up and back on mine so it can't bee seen at all.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm thinking of gutting my under dash a/c unit and fitting in a stero in it. I have a shaft style cassete deck in the dash and will leave it there to fool thiefs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kinda want to do a bit of custom stereo, like subs and nice speakers and amps, that's why I immediately jumped to Pioneer. I want to see maybe in mags or something how low riders and cars like the Galaxie, dare I say Impala? are fitting them in and what they look like. Just something to start getting ideas on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You have to be careful going down that road. I started watching too much of "Unique Whips" and Overhauling and ended up cutting side panels for the trunk to replace the original cardboard near the tail lights on each side and remounting the amp there. I just painted the wood panels a flat black but now I'm thinking of covering them with a vinyl that would match the interior and doing something similar with the trunk pad. Seems a little too much but maybe not. I'm not going to install so many amps and subwoofers and Xbox stuff that I don't have room for the spare!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definetely need speaker location ideas, especially since I will not hack my brand new door panels up for, and no-one makes kick panels with a hole yet. Maybe some brackets under dash would do it, and the package tray looks made for this so there's an obvious spot, and an amp with 2 subs in the trunk straight up behind the seat maybe??? Any thaughts?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The spare makes it tight for putting the amp or subs directly behind the back seat. I had the amp mounted there and moved it to the side of the trunk in back of the wheel. You could put a smaller sub in panel in that area. And the package tray works fine for a couple of 6x9's

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Pioneer unit mounted in glovebox here, with Amp and Sub mounted behind the rear seat. Radio delete plate in place of original radio.
Make sure you get a head unit with a remote.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I was also leaning too, in the glovebox somehow. Where else can the speakers be mounted? More front Ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Two Tweeters mounted where original single speaker in dash. Two 6" round mounted in package tray. And one Sub in trunk. Nothing major. The guy I had do made a mount for the glove box out of some kind op plastic. Only draw back with is now I don't have glove box. But a do have a console.
Sounds and looks great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts