Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a few questions on a new build I would like to do over the winter.

I currently have a stock block 347 in my 69 falcon that i wanted to upgrade as i have read all the 302 horror stories and im generally just looking to go bigger. I kicked around the ideas of all different types of combinations and have settled on a production block 408 as it seems like lots of people hit within my goal mark reliably and keep saying if you build a 400+ windsor you will never look at another 302 based build lol. That goal being while im not toooo hung up on horsepower numbers id love to get in the 6xxhp at the motor but ultimately a 10.xx e/t n/a. Is what im after and then have the option to hit it with 150 shot. That is in a car that still see's some street time.. Not daily drover kind of street time but a bit of cruising around town Saturday night lol and hitting some street night events around my area. Arm drop drags and stuff like that. I figure i can sell off my 347 as complete as possible but before I do I have some questions

First off is my head choice on the 408. The car i was otherwise thinking on maybe a super victor intake ((im open to suggestion though!!)) let prosystems work me out a carb and a custom hyd roller cam. But i have a set of TW 11R 205s from Fordstrokers. Would these be a good idea to reuse for my goals?? I see people comparing these and the afr 220 a lot but heard the afr like the aftermarket bore more. Again im open to suggestions. I hear great things about high ports but they come with a header clearance issue?? If the 205 heads will do me right though itd be nice since i already have them.

Which leads to my next question. I've been told i shouldnt have much trouble dropping a 351 in my car and it looks like i got a bit of room now between the towers but its something to keep in mind if suggesting heads.. I also dont know what size headers would be good to run. I also dont know exactly where to find any larger tube headers for a 69 falcon. All i seem to be able to find is 1 5/8. If i need to have them custom im fine with that but itd be nice to find something already done lol maybe save a few bucks for other things. Also i have 2.5in exhaust currently i plan to get rid of. Would 3in be good??

Do you think i could hit that 6xxhp ((or close)). 10.xx et goal with the direction im planning with this build??

The car is a gutted 69 falcon. 6 point cage going in before its back on the road. I have to redo the messy rear end work that was done so im thinking the caltrac leafs, bars, and 9 way shocks. Been running 28x14.5 hoosier qtp's and 28x10.5 et drags. C4 reverse full manual. Not sure the converter cus i bought the whole transmission set up used and he didnt know either but it stalls 4500 on the transbrake lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're on the right track. I think those heads should be enough to get you in the 10s, may be a stretch to hit 600hp with a hydraulic roller, you're on the bubble of maybe needing a solid roller. Super Victor will be fine, but again may match a solid roller combo a bit more. I'd definitely go 1 3/4" minimum on the headers, and 3" exhaust should work fine.

I built a 408 similar to what you're trying to do, 950dp, Victor Jr, 242/250 .576/.577 Hydro roller, 10.5:1, 1 3/4" headers, AFR 205s with some rubbing. It made 570hp at 6300. It has a pretty mild cam, it would have been right at 600hp with a more aggressive hydro roller but valve float gets touchy, and a super victor likely would pick up a bit with a bigger cam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the input! I like the sound of that. Like I said I am not toooo hung up on the hp. Like id be over the moon if i made your #'s for sure haha. Thats a sweet piece! Just figured 600 was a good reference point and maybe a good place to find any weakness in my combo route. To run pretty much a 10 anything on motor was the real ultimate goal. I figured if i hit even 10.98 id be real happy and could spray a 150 to it and put it deep.

Im not exactly stuck on anything in the combo. I can be sold on something else if its gonna benefit me without too much trouble. The reason i was thinking about my twisted wedge was because i had seen them more compared to the afr 225 and 220 in a lot of threads and seen the afr likes the aftermarket bore. I wasn't sure how much there was to gain over what i had in those other heads but id be welcome to it if there is because if i sell my 347 with heads just makes an easier sale haha. The one thing that always comes up is the highport heads and header concerns? But from the other falcon guys here saying you can drop a big block in and be fine. If there is a lot to pick up without a whole lot of extra cash within reason i am into it. Do it right the first time i guess haha.

The hyd roller vs the solid roller thing really boiled down to im pretty new to the whole thing and i really just dont have any experience with the solid stuff and when i started out i had ppl tell me just get a hyd roller you dont want to deal with the maintanence of a solid so i put very little research into it but ive been seeing a lot of cars around my area cruising around with solid roller.. If i can hit the streets a bit and blast around town, hit some meets/cruises, and go racing a couple times a year without constant up keep and tweaking and it will really wake up my car id def look into it. Like i said my minds not made up on anything really other than i wanna build this 408 and put er in the 10's n/a. Clay for molding haha

You're on the right track. I think those heads should be enough to get you in the 10s, may be a stretch to hit 600hp with a hydraulic roller, you're on the bubble of maybe needing a solid roller. Super Victor will be fine, but again may match a solid roller combo a bit more. I'd definitely go 1 3/4" minimum on the headers, and 3" exhaust should work fine.

I built a 408 similar to what you're trying to do, 950dp, Victor Jr, 242/250 .576/.577 Hydro roller, 10.5:1, 1 3/4" headers, AFR 205s with some rubbing. It made 570hp at 6300. It has a pretty mild cam, it would have been right at 600hp with a more aggressive hydro roller but valve float gets touchy, and a super victor likely would pick up a bit with a bigger cam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't believe the hype around running a solid roller on the street. Set lash and leave it alone - maybe go back and check every 6mos or so. As long as you have good polylocks there is really no problem running them for extended periods of time. I'd also mention that 600hp on the street can be very temperamental. To get the hp levels you're looking for, as mentioned, you'll have to have a cam that will rev (esp with 347ci) and to do that means the duration will be long and won't make much down low for street cruising. More food for thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts