Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a '63 Falcon Futura 2dr. sdn yesterday. Very straight, and rust free. Doesn't run, but that didn't matter as I want to make a hotrod anyway. It sat in a barn for 23 years, and my neighbor lost his space, so needed to sell. Got it for $550, along with numerous spare parts. Just joined today to see what others are building here. Regards!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Holey... As clean as she is, I would do a restore not a restomod.
Looks like the only minor flaws I see is the grill and bumper. The body is straight and paint is good for 50 years old.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I'm moving out west. Can't believe some of the nice cheap cars that you guys are finding.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well the Falcon is back on the road now! Been a whirlwind build, but being retired helped get it done in record time. I've been driving it for several weeks now, and fine tuning all the changes.
Built an entire frame underneath from box tubing, and connected it to aftermarket subframe connectors inbetween. Put an E100 Econoline axle up front, and an 8.8" '93 Exploder 3.73LS in back, with custom built ladder bars. 464ci engine, with Edelbrock heads, Weiand tunnel ram, and twin 600 Holleys. A big cam, and MSD ignition system. A Super T10 4 speed inbetween to tie things together. Had to set the firewall back about 8" to make room, but still easy access to 7-8 plugs inside the firewall setback.
Inside I put a pair of recovered MII buckets, with deleted headrests, and a cut down '98 Taurus SVO leather folding back seat. 6 point rollbar to tie things together and help with frame improvements. Made up new door panels, and covered them with black naugahyde. Put in a new headliner, and painted all the blue metal trim insde, satin black. Still no carpets, but I'll get to that later this summer. Put down sound mat everywhere, to reduce the noise, and heat.
Radiused the rear wheel wells, and added Mercedes front fender lips to the radius to finish them off. Pair of old style Hurst pie crust slicks, and swap meet ET spokes all around. Made the frontend one piece and tilt, with a tubing framework inside. Grille was funky, so didn't mind chopping a hole in it to mount a Moon style tank, and hook it to the radiator as an overflow. Lots of minor dings, and primer spots, as it was near a burning house on the right side, so I'll strip and paint it next winter.
It's a kick to drive, and hope to run it down the strip this month at the old time drags locally.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Waaaay Cool.

Wish I could finish a car that quick

took 5 years each on the 59 and 66 Elkys

The 65 Ranchero won't take so long----not as much to fix.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Double DAMN! :eek: I think I just wet myself. You took that Falcon to one of those 60's car models you build and customize. Only this time there's no plastic glue and those nasty testors model paint that took forever to dry-which always gets you fingers when you touch em. Looking really NICE!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!
I vacuumed six 5 gal. shop vacs full of mice nests out of the backseat, trunk, and headliner during disassembly! It was so bad I had to use my canister mask and a damp rag under it while cleaning! Then I used a wire brush on my battery drill to clean the remnants, and sealed the inner roof, floors, and trunk with black rustoleum. What a mess.
Only had two small floor patches up front on the floor where it transistions to the firewall that took small pieces welded in.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did a little upgrade to the Falcon wheels. I got these old wheels at a local swap meet for $300, and someone had polished the gray cast finish off the spokes. They did OK, but left some remnants of the gray down around the lugnut area. It always had a dirty look to it, so I decided to do something about it today.
I sanded the centers and cleaned them well with spray brake cleaner. Then let them dry in the sun and masked the centers off. Got some VHT graphite color wheel paint, and sprayed the centers gray. They look much like the original ET finish, only smooth.

Soon summer driving days will end, and I'll start the body work. Not sure if I'll get it painted this winter, or give painting a try on my own. Always wanted to try to paint a car, so maybe the Falcon will be my first test bed for a home paint job!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
nice job with the gasser look.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm sure this has been covered by someone before, but I'll post my experience on a wiper motor swap, as I did it today.
We slipped by with another dry day today, so I hit the local wrecking yard. Haven't had any luck getting my wipers going on my '63 Falcon, so after a Google search, I found that the newer Ford F150 and Bronco wiper motors from '73-'79 could be adapted to work with my Falcon. Found a '73 Ford F150, and pulled the wiper motor along with the switch as a unit.
Once I got home I pulled the old Falcon wiper motor and bracket, and found the two motors had different bolt patterns, but the Falcon bracket was drilled for both bolt patterns!! Pulled the motor and rubber insulators off, and relocated them to the correct holes. Then swapped the arm off my old motor and after turning it 180 degrees, I bolted it to the Falcon bracket. I had to add a ground strap from motor to the bracket, as there wasn't one on my Falcon's bracket.
Then I bolted it in place, and attached the wiper arm under the dash. I removed the outer wiper blades and arms so I could test it without them in place, as I figured the resting position might be off from before. They worked great, so I reinstalled the arms and I have working 2 speed wipers now for a $10 wrecking yard motor!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hmmm----wonder if the 64/5 Falcons would be the same??

1 - 20 of 52 Posts