Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sence I bought my 61 several months ago, and it has always run nice, I have spent very little time under the hood, so i never noticed this before. It takes a long time for the engine to warm up and it overheats on long drives over 60 MPH. Figured it doesn't have a thermostat and for all I know, that MIGHT affect temps on the highway also[?]. Pulled off the thernostat housing and it has a good working thermostat. Then I noticed it has a hose off the bottom of the radiator. It runs up to an inline pump or heater[has regular 115 Volt plug] that's mounted to the firewall. From there the hose goes into a T on the driverside heater hose. What is this hose for? Could the water be bypassing the thermostat making it take longer to heat? Might it be flowing by at higher speeds and not spending as much time in the radiator? Is this a factory set up? If its not, where should this hose go?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Sounds like you have a block heater to keep the engine warm in cold weather when sitting. Has the radiator been cleaned by a radiator shop?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My parts book or shop manual do not show how hoses run. I've found pictures of engines and only see the 2 hoses off the engine to the heater. As best I can tell, from the pictures, there are no T's tied into the heater hoses. Could the hose off the bottom of the radiator be where the drain plug should be? In all my older cars, I've never seen a heater sized hose off the bottom of the radiator. Please, can someone just tell me if this hose is supposed to be here.
Thanks again,
Karl.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Have owned several 61's and have shop manuals for a 61 and have never seen or seen reference to such a set up? But then again I live in the south and as stated above it could be something only used in a colder area?

Scott...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
What Arnold said. When I lived in Fairbanks, AK ALL vechicles had these either from the factory or added to the car/truck. We even had battery pads that heated the battery, dip stick heaters that heated the oil and at times I even put a flood light under the rear end to keep the oil warm. All the parking spots had electrical outlets rather than parking meters and everone had extension cords in the back seat.

As for as the over heating, did you check the temp on the thermostat? They are usually stamped somewhere on them. It is not unusual for the thermostat to be 190 degrees or more in cold climates, just like here in Texas we may run a 160/170 degree thermostat. Or you may have a 40+ year old radiator that is junked up and needs cleaning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts