Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new here but i have some burning questions about a 351 to 393 stroker build so i hope im in the right forum. So here goes:

I have a 85 Crown victoria that i just love. Big car, huge interior, chugs gas, its wonderfull. But the only problem is it pulls a small 302 thats got about a year and a half worth of life left in it. Thus im gonna buy a 351 block and build it into a 393 stroker with around 400hp.

Im giving myself 8 months to complete the engine due to not having the funds to pay for everything all at once and not having the time to do it all in one sitting. My plan is to buy the block by itself and build onto it as i get the parts. Then once the engine is done(hopefully by janruary due to tax season and i get tons of bonuses in my company in the begining of the year) im going to buy everything i need for the drivetrain and gearing in one swoop and finish it. Then ill get a paint and body job and have a badass vic by next summer.

Now i need tips on the best heads/crank/cam setup and any other tips i can get...also need tips on which brands have the best prices to value ratio. Thus which models are cheaper but still work well.

Searched through tons of forums and sites and gotten loads of tips that ive studied and written down but having more of a guideline to what is preferred and what i can get away with on cheaper parts. I know as far as heads/crank/and rods you want the best you can afford. But what other parts can you maybe go a little cheaper on?

Also since im rebuilding a entire new engine i would like to change from my current efi system to a carb system. How many mods would i have to do on my fuel system to make the carb engine work? I am still somewhat learning all this as i go along so i am craving more info on this build.

Anything will help and thanks in advance for any good advice!

BTW not gonna go with a kit, would rather buy like i said and build as i have time.

BTTW What tranny would be best for this build and should i do a shift kit + the 3.73 gears and what rear end assembly would work with my 85 crown vic?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
there is several ways to build a 393.

you need to say the end use

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
End result will be what a Stroker 393 is supposed to be. Fast and torquey. Will be used for back and forth to work but im not to worried about has mileage. Im only getting 12 or so right now anyway. Even a new Stroker built to the max couldn't get too much worse than that. Anyways like I said any parts that are cheaper in price but still good quality is more what im looking for. With such a long time frame I am open to waiting for better deals.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
End result will be what a Stroker 393 is supposed to be. Fast and torquey. Will be used for back and forth to work but im not to worried about has mileage. Im only getting 12 or so right now anyway. Even a new Stroker built to the max couldn't get too much worse than that. Anyways like I said any parts that are cheaper in price but still good quality is more what im looking for. With such a long time frame I am open to waiting for better deals.
stroker to the max on mpg. - 12 mpg , some would say the truck gets that towing the stroker ride. thats why its towed.

BTW there is only one Max. forgot and not build on low budgets

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Any reason why you want a 393?..The 408 kits are hard to beat and drop right in with a minimum of fuss...As for the top end there aren't any "best"parts..It all depends on what kind of power you want to make and what your budget is?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Any reason why you want a 393?..The 408 kits are hard to beat and drop right in with a minimum of fuss...As for the top end there aren't any "best"parts..It all depends on what kind of power you want to make and what your budget is?
want vs budget . budget is the winner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So would a 408 be a little but easier to install than the 393 design? And I guess "best parts" wasn't really the best term to use. What I was getting at was the best parts for a smaller budget. Now im gonna take my time and what I can't afford I'll save for and purchase when I have the money. My only worry is the 408 would be too big and I'd end up breaking something or worse. Figured the 393 would be a good balance between a 357 and 408. Anyways my reason for wanting a Stroker is because I want a to make my old grandpa car into a torque machine. Besides I guess to each there own and I like my car. Anyways ain't gotten any tips or anything yet! Lol trying to figure ou what rear end and tranny combo would work best for my box with the 393. Now if I could get more info on how the 408 works as far as bolting right up I might be swayed that way. What were the torque/horsepower specs on that with decent heads

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stroker to the max on mpg. - 12 mpg , some would say the truck gets that towing the stroker ride. thats why its towed.

BTW there is only one Max. forgot and not build on low budgets
That was kinda a example. Didn't mean I was gonna build a maxed out 393 =/

·
Registered
684 Posts
So would a 408 be a little but easier to install than the 393 design? And I guess "best parts" wasn't really the best term to use. What I was getting at was the best parts for a smaller budget. Now im gonna take my time and what I can't afford I'll save for and purchase when I have the money. My only worry is the 408 would be too big and I'd end up breaking something or worse. Figured the 393 would be a good balance between a 357 and 408. Anyways my reason for wanting a Stroker is because I want a to make my old grandpa car into a torque machine. Besides I guess to each there own and I like my car. Anyways ain't gotten any tips or anything yet! Lol trying to figure ou what rear end and tranny combo would work best for my box with the 393. Now if I could get more info on how the 408 works as far as bolting right up I might be swayed that way. What were the torque/horsepower specs on that with decent heads
Do not waste your money on a 393. The 408W is a better way to go. If you are already going to buy pistons , crank and rods it cost the same to build the 408W. I would use a Cast Scat crank and I beam rods with Forged pistons.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
383 /393/408/ - why not a 427?

the smaller cubes can be better deal than bigger cubes.

one very good reason , the big guy likes to eat. thats just one reason.
the first thing that must be known is the head / intake / exhaust being hung on the block .

lot more to building a good ride than just the engine . the total package must be known

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
The OP already answered those questions and is looking for advice.

To the OP: stick around and someone will come on here that's is willing to answer your questions professionally. Also go over to the stroker forum and read up on what others are doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

To the OP: stick around and someone will come on here that's is willing to answer your questions professionally. Also go over to the stroker forum and read up on what others are doing.
Thank you at least someone is reasonable! Anyways found a complete 1970 w block so my next step is to year it apart and figure out what parts I might salvage from it and check measurements on the bore!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hi, im new here but i have some burning questions about a 351 to 393 stroker build so i hope im in the right forum. So here goes:

I have a 85 Crown victoria that i just love. Big car, huge interior, chugs gas, its wonderfull. But the only problem is it pulls a small 302 thats got about a year and a half worth of life left in it. Thus im gonna buy a 351 block and build it into a 393 stroker with around 400hp.

Im giving myself 8 months to complete the engine due to not having the funds to pay for everything all at once and not having the time to do it all in one sitting. My plan is to buy the block by itself and build onto it as i get the parts. Then once the engine is done(hopefully by janruary due to tax season and i get tons of bonuses in my company in the begining of the year) im going to buy everything i need for the drivetrain and gearing in one swoop and finish it. Then ill get a paint and body job and have a badass vic by next summer.

Now i need tips on the best heads/crank/cam setup and any other tips i can get...also need tips on which brands have the best prices to value ratio. Thus which models are cheaper but still work well.

Searched through tons of forums and sites and gotten loads of tips that ive studied and written down but having more of a guideline to what is preferred and what i can get away with on cheaper parts. I know as far as heads/crank/and rods you want the best you can afford. But what other parts can you maybe go a little cheaper on?

Also since im rebuilding a entire new engine i would like to change from my current efi system to a carb system. How many mods would i have to do on my fuel system to make the carb engine work? I am still somewhat learning all this as i go along so i am craving more info on this build.

Anything will help and thanks in advance for any good advice!

BTW not gonna go with a kit, would rather buy like i said and build as i have time.

BTTW What tranny would be best for this build and should i do a shift kit + the 3.73 gears and what rear end assembly would work with my 85 crown vic?

Thanks again!
"BTTW what" sure sounds like a question to me.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Thank you at least someone is reasonable! Anyways found a complete 1970 w block so my next step is to year it apart and figure out what parts I might salvage from it and check measurements on the bore![/QUOTE
.060" over, build a 427

·
Banned
6,355 Posts

thats your idea of advice ? - go some where else.

some advice for you - look up the meaning of -WHAT

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I haven't built a 393 personally but I have heard they cost more to balance.If you are trying to piece together the so called cheapy 393 using 302 pistons and stock rods I would stay away from that as well unless you are comfortable clearancing pistons and cylinder bottoms with a grinder..Might as well get a few more torque friendly cubes and a better overall package with the 408 kits like the ones from Scat...Mine dropped right in with no clearancing at all other than a little grinding on the pad where the oil pump sits and a little on the oil pump itself...As for torque and hp it really depends on the top end you put on it...A decent set of name brand heads with around 200cc intake runners should put you around 475-500 hp/tq..Camshaft and intake will determine at what rpm it will peak at...Popular intakes are the vic jr and edelbrock air gap..Do some searching on the internet as there are tons of these builds out there...Bigger more expensive parts(heads) will make more power so you just have to determine how much you need.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
`the cheap 383W can be cheap.
need a good balance shop that knows how to keep cost down

building the cheap , must know the limits of doing that type of build

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
thats your idea of advice ? - go some where else.

some advice for you - look up the meaning of -WHAT
I've never built a stroked 351W so I'm not going to try and advise him on what he should do. I have built a 347, couple 289's, several 302's, 351C, 390, several small block GM's, 10 or 12 VW's, a TR7, a few motor cycles and a few other motors stretched out over the last 66 years. On those I would have made suggestions or at least said this is what I did and it worked. With all your real world and current knowledge you could have at least laid out a couple of recipes as a suggestion. I think he gave enough information to warrant some decent answer. Maybe not. Don't want to get into any kind of pissing contest here. I just told him to stick around for awhile to get his answer.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
retyler , a major problem of building and collecting parts over time is get them to match for the build.

the total package must be known , that means a plan must be in place .
stray from the plan package for any reason , not a plan anymore.
the - i got a good deal on this is the worse offender

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Can't agree more Dan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts