Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found the balancer.

Do you have specifics to share regarding your planned forced induction?

putts

·
Registered
201 Posts
You're lucky you have a '64, the timing marks on the damper and the pointer on the timing case are normal like most cars. Not that bump thing I have on earlier models. Even with Testors white paint on the marks, they still can be hard to read.

I also heard that the cams are better and improved on the '64s and up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@astrojet-I've seen the marks on 416's and on 292's, and I've heard how much of a pain it is to get them timed just right. @puttster-As much as a 1271 BDS blower sounds great, I don't think it's in the budget. I plan on running a turbo, just need to decide what size. There is a really good tech article on here to help decide. I plan running at least a 60 trim, with an A/R size of .8-1.0. It will have a higher spool speed of around 2200, and with the cam I plan on using, I'll have good power through the whole band, including below 2200. Matched with forged internals and some decent heads, I'm hoping to redline in the 7000 range. Although, I coast high has some really good stroker kits for the 390 that I would like to try first, but I need to get compression down on those kits to the 9 to 9.5 range vs. the 10.5-11 that use in order to do any sort of forced induction. That 60 trim wouldn't be bad for it (would spool to full speed around 1500 with the displacement), and would be off the charts. I'll know more once I actually tear the engine down. That'll be a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I looked on Coast High but could not fing the stroker kit or the 60 trim. Can you give me some links?

There is, I think some good interest in a turbo set up for a 390 here, but not much info of how-to. Any plans you have would be welcome!

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
For single-turbo, typical T61 and T64 series Garrets and clones, GTP38, and GT40 series are all general fits for street boost, stock heads, and reasonable 5500 rpm limit. For twins, the venerable T3-60s, K24s, or GT20/22s would be potential choices. For quick spooling, the smaller AR housings and wheels would of course be preferential, like .50-.60 on twins and .8-.9 on larger frame singles. If you have any issues locating candidates, I have a few to offer that would be suitable, both new and used, and maybe an M112 supercharger. More installation work and mandatory EFI, but instant boost and potential cool factor. This isn't an ad - just offering a backup.
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
David, I'm impressed! I don't hear much about FE forced air, so nice to know there is a regular here with knowledge about it. I'm in the process of upgrading to a 390. Still have the cruiso and stock cam and logs and duals. For reliability I will likely be putting in a throttle body EFI and a Duraspark. I'm a "street only" person who stays in the 0-80 zone.

Enough history. For PSIG or anyone, taking into account my meager technical skills, what is the next good upgrade? Turbo? Supercharger? 445 stroker?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts