Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
Just purchased my first Galaxie from auction. It’s a 63 Galaxie 2door sedan. It has been rebuilt from the ground up. 390 V8, 3 duces and 4 speed Top Loader. It is exactly how I would have built it.
The gent stated he used Shell Rotella 15W40 diesel oil in it. Does anyone else use this oil? It is supposed to have a decent amount of Zinc. I was wondering what type of trans oil it would take. GL4 or GL5 synthetic? I would like to change the wheels out, right now just steel & wheel cover. Any idea how much back spacing is there on front and rear? How much offset? I’ll have many more questions, but this site is great for info. Thanks.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
172 Posts
The oil question will flesh out many opinions, but I use Mobil 1 15w50 in all my classics after the first couple oil changes. I use conventional Valvoline VR1 race oil for the break in period. Both are among the few easily-found oils with plenty of ZDDP for our pushrod engines. Can’t say anything about the diesel oil, but probably will work fine. Congrats on a cool car!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My opinion on the oil, sure why not! I doubt it does any harm.

Same with the trans oil, pick your pony and stick with it.

I do love the wheels, I'm getting rid of the cragar's mine came with.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You have a couple of really nice looking cars there. Ditto for the garage.

So I'll chime in, too. Castrol 10W40 with a bottle of ZDDPlus.

Castrol Type "F" for the automatic transmission fluid.

*Oops you did say top loader. Disregard ATF then!

·
Registered
115 Posts
ive been running mine on the VR1 as well, broke it in on that too with additional zinc on top of that. good stuff.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use VR1, too, 10w30. Hydraulic flat tappet.

Pat

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Type F for 10 years, leaks in three places.

·
Registered
917 Posts
As for wheel back spacing, measure how they fit now and the fronts turn radius against the fenders and springs. Then pull the wheels you have now and measure them. With the info from your measurements you can decide on how much more and which way to make any back spacing changes. If not sure. Please post pictures and measurements on here and help will be on the way.
Beautiful car and looks like it found a very nice home.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great car(s)!!!

I ran Shell Rotella in my 1950 F-1 flathead 6 but heard the zddp content in that had gone down. No idea if that's true or not, truck ran fine on it. I switched to Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car Oil 10w-40 with "High Zinc" because it was designed with these cars in mind.

In my 65 Galaxie (old & tired 289), this summer I used Castrol 10w-40 with a bottle of zddp additive (as an experiment) and it seems to be burning a little bit of oil on start-up. It didn't do this last year when I ran the Lucas oil in it, but then again, she could just be getting more tired. It's fine when it's warmed up, no oil smoke at all. I may switch to the VR1 20w-50 next Spring to see how that works out. I heard it excellent.

Reactions: Shoovel

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good read about oils:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't typically read "oil articles", but that was a great read.

And yes VR1 seems to be the one of the better choices for daily driver. I am also surprised by Shell "new" Rotella 15w-40. I may go back to that in my truck next Spring instead of the Lucas hot rod (which was disappointing).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well that article certainly has me rethinking my use of ZDDPlus.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Same here. I never added extra zinc to my flathead 6 with the Rotella because I only thought you needed it for higher revving scenarios. And that flathead never goes above 3K rpm.

In the Galaxie, I like to "blow the carbon out" sometimes (Grandfather's old excuse for hitting the gas, lol)...so I added it to the 289 for those episodes. Probably still don't need it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
the zinc is more a 'pressure on parts' protector. not nec a high revving application only. considering i have higher pressure springs than stock on the 390, the zinc will help keep the valve-train in line. there's def no downside to running it, but i'm not adding zinc on top of that. I mean my rev limiter is set to 5500 and i never hit it. well, much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I haven’t had too many chances to drive er, as I’m going into the hospital tomorrow for surgery to repair tears in my retina.
Just wondering if any of the Galaxie folks are members of the Galaxie Club of America. If so, you you feel it’s worth it?
When I got my 39 Ford, I joined the Early Ford V8 Club of America and the Ford Barn. There was also a chapter of the EFV8CA in Southern Ontario. All three have been a huge help to me.
take care.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just wondering if any of the Galaxie folks are members of the Galaxie Club of America. If so, you you feel it’s worth it?
I was a member when I first got my Galaxie but I let my membership expire. I found no benefit to it other than some light reading of the magazine.

The promised savings on parts and having a whole club behind you is something I never experienced. Plus, I found Mark Reynolds to be quite annoying. Especially when he asks for pictures/stories and when he gets pictures of vehicles in a scenic setting he complains because he wants real world, cars on asphalt pictures. Then he whines about more people being on the Galaxie Club's Facebook page instead of actual subscribers. I could go on but I've made my point.

Just my experience and two cents for what it's worth.

·
Administrator
21,887 Posts
If it has power steering he can use it though! :)

I just bought diesel oil for mine recently. Read up on the differences and decided that's what I needed and it cost less! A friend uses the Valvoline racing oil in all his for years and won't use anything else. We just had that conversation last night actually!

His '51 he said used something else when he got it and he changed it to the valvoline like his other cars and it did a lot better, no smoking like it had been etc.

Everyone has their favorites though as mentioned earlier!

You have a couple of really nice looking cars there. Ditto for the garage.

So I'll chime in, too. Castrol 10W40 with a bottle of ZDDPlus.

Castrol Type "F" for the automatic transmission fluid.

*Oops you did say top loader. Disregard ATF then!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go to David kee web site for top loader info. He has specific advice for what oil to use in top loaders. 4speedtoploader.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts