Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1961 sunliner today and am currently going over the work the car will need. It seems that every panel on the car has some amount of rust and I am not sure where to get some of the sheet metal needed for the repairs without making them myself. It seems the front fenders have rust up in between the fender and hood in the engine bay, the door skins look like they need replacing. The entire rear quarters look like they need either replaced or extensive patching done as well. Does anyone know of a good source for all of these panels or am I going to be stuck making them all from scratch?

Car is a X-code car with a three on the tree and 3.56 equalock diff, I'll have some more photos to post tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/Gf4mdVy.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
You can check here to see if they have anything.
Ford Auto Body Repair Panels

Or if lucky maybe find a good parts car or a junkyard that might have the parts you need. All American Classics Vancouver WA, Desert Valley auto parts in AZ, are a couple. Not sure what area of Ohio you are in but have a friend in cleveland burbs that might know of somewhere to look if you're anywhere near there. Although hard to find things rustless in Ohio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Congrats on your 61 Sunliner, it looks nice and complete. I have 2 of them. One from Denver and one from Kansas so I know a little about rust.
You can use lower 62 Galaxie rear quarters as they seem more plentiful than 61's. You have to make a little filler piece by the rear bumper where the 62 indents for the bumper. I had to replace mine from the trim piece down. Don't be afraid to use a 4 door quarter as it will have the wheel well lip where the rear door meets up and it's pretty gentle curves from the wheel well to the door.
The rear foot wells are convertible specific if yours are rusted out.
Take a look at the floor and trunk bracing as they like to rust out at the body mounts, also the gas tank hangs from the trunk supports.
If your front fenders aren't tweaked from getting bumped by the headlight I would try and patch any rust if not too bad.
I used reproduction trunk dropdowns from a 63 and they fit, a 62 is way different.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts