Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This forum has been a great deal of help to me the past month or so and I thought I'd better go ahead and register, say hi, and ask a few questions.

First, I converted the front a disc brakes. Unfortunately for me, the caliper rubs slightly on the drivers side. I was already planning on getting some 15 inch wheels (currently 14) as the wheel on it are in rather bad shape. I went with Wheel Vintiques 62 series, 15 x 7 inch 4.25 backspace in front and 15 x 8 4.5 inch backspace in the rear. I'll be painting them black with original dog dish hubcaps. My question is, what size tires can I run? I'd like to get the fattest I can in the back. Normally I'd just take it all down to the tire shop, but since the caliper is rubbing I'm thinking it will be easier to get the tires mounted, then put them on myself. (I did try grinding the caliper down a little, but it still rubs.)

A few questions on the trim. What is aluminum and what is chrome? On the trim that goes along the front fender, what was the original center color? Mine has had red paint brushed on. In general is it cheaper to get the trim restored, polished, etc or to get a repop (if just looking for a nice driver, not concours). If anyone knows a shop in Central Florida that does a good job with this, let me know.

My mirror is missing the actual mirror. I've been unable to locate a place or individual that would sell me the mirror itself, just the whole assembly. Any leads there? Am I missing anything here besides the glass?

Finally, I've got a bit of rust repair to do on the lower quarters and the driver's front fender. I've been able to find a few places I could get the sheet metal from for the rear, but not the front fender. I really only need a patch for the bottom of the front (as seen). Because it is right there on the wheel well and there are a lot of curves, I'd rather find something already made than trying my hand at making it myself. Any sources?

Thanks!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Gas Automotive parking light Rim

·
Registered
127 Posts
disc calipers on 14" rims are not suited for each other... my 62 had 14" and I
replaced them with 15" I installed the front hubs from my 77 Ranchero direct fit
except for the Tie rod end, and the hold needed to be reamed .
Have a good glass shop make you a new piece of mirror glass, they can help
you install it in the frame.
I would go with a local body shop to repair the rust...
what type of metal, use a magnet... my 62 is chrome steel and stainless.. with
just a few pieces being Aluminum.
18 gauge is still pretty easy to shape. with a dolly and hammer..
Best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I had always planned on putting the 15 inch rims on for clearing the calipers, but when I got the calipers and test fit them on the passenger side everything fit fine, so I went ahead and installed everything. That's when I found out the driver's side rubbed. So, I don't want to disassemble everything just to take the car down to the tire shop to get tires fitted to the 15 x 7 front rims. I was hoping someone else here with a 64 and similar rims as mine could tell me a front tire size that would work so I could get the tires put on the rims and then drive it down to get the rear tires fitted.

A glass shop does make sense. I hadn't thought of that. I thought maybe there was something that went behind the glass that I was also missing, but I suppose they could fit the glass with an adhesive.

You are probably right about taking it to a shop to get welded versus me trying it myself. I was trying to find some ways to save cash, but at this point fabricating my own little panel for the front might be beyond me (well, if I want it to look right). Body work is always so expensive, I'd rather put that money elsewhere, but I might have to bite the bullet here. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts