Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all Ford People, please do not bite off my head as I am a car guy just like the rest of you, I just prefer Mopar muscle cars. But I do have one problem i would like help with. I do not know alot about Fords, I understand the consept and the series of the FE motor but that is as far as I go. My father passed away in 2006, and he left me his 1968 Ranchero, not sure if it a true GT or not, but i know it has a 390 with drum brakes and C6 tranny. I am going to restore thid for my father, and he always talked about building up a poor man cobra jet(427). Im im currenlty in afghan..Need help making a part list for things i need to buy to complete project..thank you

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you can post the VIN number and or the data code information from the driver side door, we can tell what it originally came with, which will help to determine what parts you will need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I was in a rush when I was typing all that, what i was really trying to ask for was pretty much every it takes to turn a 390 into a "poor man" cobra Jet. Was also wondering if its worth it.or maybe there is a better way to get some serious power out of the 390. My goal is to make it a streatable Muscle car the is some where in the 11 to 13 second range, preferable naturally asperated. Also I am completely misssing the dash..Best place to find replacement? new or used? I dont even know what its suposed to look like! Thank..oh wait..Squeezing headers into that bad boy. should I do a shock tower removal, or are there headers that Fit. And I also plan on doing discs all the way around..any good ideas. Alot to ask I know.Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
8 =model year, 1968
K= Assembly Plant, Kanas City
48= Body series, Ranchero 500
47=Ranchero
48= Ranchero 500
49= Ranchero GT
Y=Engine code, V8 390 2V 265hp 9.5cr
204389=Sequential production number from that assembly plant for that model year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow very cool thanks alot. Now were these ranchero 500s very common? I have never heard of them but i am also not a Ford guy. I can only imagine it was just an option for guys who could not afford the GT but still wanted power. Like an R/T in the Mopar world

·
Registered
662 Posts
Here are the production numbers for 1968 Rancheros

• 1968 - Ranchero - 5,014
  • 500 - 10,029
  • GT - 1,669
You could pretty much order any combination of options with any of the body styles. Certain items came stock as you upgraded in body style. You can get all the specifics of what your Ranchero came with and the brake down of how rare your Ranchero is with the options it came with new by ordering a Marti report from Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok cool. I really like all the help! Now my next question is, is the 390 that in the car now an engine worth putting money into? Money is not an issue, but would be worth my while to dump money into that engine ine that year? Or just abortion it and go a 400 or 460 route? I would prefere to keep the 390..but please be honest? Will some 428 alluminum heads to some justis or was this a bad year for the 390?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Hello all Ford People, please do not bite off my head as I am a car guy just like the rest of you, I just prefer Mopar muscle cars. But I do have one problem i would like help with. I do not know alot about Fords, I understand the consept and the series of the FE motor but that is as far as I go. My father passed away in 2006, and he left me his 1968 Ranchero, not sure if it a true GT or not, but i know it has a 390 with drum brakes and C6 tranny. I am going to restore thid for my father, and he always talked about building up a poor man cobra jet(427). Im im currenlty in afghan..Need help making a part list for things i need to buy to complete project..thank you
Welcome to Ford Muscle, you will find a wealth of good information here for your application. We have even tried to solve some of the world's problems with a reasonable amount of success.

I am not an FE guy, prefer Windsor motors instead, but that is ok. There is plenty of Ford stuff to go around.

Thanx for your service.

Frank

·
Registered
30 Posts
To make the 390 into a 427 would require some serious overbore. Would the cylinder walls be able to hold up? Maybe have the block sonic tested first if that is the route you decide to go. Try looking at some stroker kits, you might be surprised to find out the power you can gain from them.
Have fun and welcome.

-Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any news on a stroker kit? Or intel on the 1968 390? Worth keeping original? Worth ripping out and putting bigger in? Im also doing a mustange two style front end. So if that helps with motor choice! I wana go fast..haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any news on a stroker kit? Or intel on the 1968 390? Worth keeping original? Worth ripping out and putting bigger in? Im also doing a mustange two style front end. So if that helps with motor choice! I wana go fast..haha
I think to do the stroker to a 427 might be kind of foolish. That is a lot of metal to remove. Up to you. Maybe look for bigger. 390 has potential though.

For some ideas on some stroker kits....
Flatlander Racing - Ford Stroker Kits or
Ford Stroker Kits from RPM Machines.

-Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts