Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy! Jake here. First off, great site! Lots of neat info, and have seen alot of beautiful cars around while lurking. Make a long story short, Ive been helping out a friend who owns a restoration shop here in town, and who is also a mechanic. He decided to shut down the mechanic side for the most part as it kept him too busy dealing with the public, keeping him from his restoration jobs. He has a long time customer with some motor issues in an old, idk late 80's early 90's chevy truck but since its a sudden, unexpected problem the only payment he could offer was a 66 Galaxie 500 4 door. Owner of the shop pawned the job onto me, so looks like I may have me a car here in the near future. We went to check it out, me being as excited as I was to see the car, I forgot the bondo tester, no magnet, and didnt take any pics of the tags etc to do any more research on the car. As it is, and its supposedly original, its a 390ci, 3 sp on the tree, bench seat car, no ac, 4 door car. Looks pretty solid, but it looks like its had a cheap paint job at some point in its life, so who knows whats under it. Fires right up, runs great etc. Only problem he knew of was a little frame rot on the right rear I believe. No big deal, im a welder by trade im sure I can get that worked out. If and when this deal goes thru, which it sounds like it may show up this week.. im not sure which direction to go with it. Friends tell me to upgrade brakes, suspension, etc and just drive it. Might not be a bad idea as funds to do a complete restoration might not be available. Plus, just having a good running reliable old car to drive daily with no worries of scratches etc would be fun. One of my biggest questions is, is im not sure how excited i am about 3 on the tree. I can drive em, but would rather have a manual on the floor. I know nothing about fords... except for the ranger that I own. Having a tough time finding things on google etc. What are my options on the swap? Would it be worth the effort, would leaving it on the column be "cooler" so to speak? Another question, is while out searching for parts on this car, is there any other models that'll interchange? Ive seen a few post about people using more modern parts like sway bars etc and adapting them to fit their galaxies. Any more info on things like that. Thoughts on a newer fuel injected v8, 4.6L possibly?? I know the car will end up in my possession at some point. Just trying to get a little ahead of myself and get a game plan goin. Any help, tips, pointers, opinions etc would be awesome! Like I said, I dont know much about these old fords.. so anything would help. Websites too, if anyone knows of some good links for ford parts and what not. Cars about 99% complete as far as I can tell, which will help. Ill include a pic. Doesnt look like much, but she runs/sounds great! Thanks in advance for any help guys!!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jake! You sound pretty excited over the possible ownership of the Gal, hope it all works out that way for you! I don't know a lot bout the swap to standard on the floor other than getting another tranny and the correct linkage and shifter. I have only driven one 3 on the tree and i liked it, thought it was fun to shift but others have their opinion also. I think the '65 is the orphan of the 65,66 and 67. Parts aren't easy on any of those really.

If it were me, i'd go through the brakes, repace shoes if needed and wheel cylinders, make sure master isn't leaking and on it's way out and just drive it. You can decide later on the tranny change after driving a bit along with other stuff. Many add disc brakes others are fine with drums, same with electronic ignition. Personal preference. :) I have drums, points and a generator still. No immediate plans to change any of it.

If you are lucky enough to become the new owner, get it driveable then decide! You'll know more then too.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would do more checking to see if it is really a 390. I don't know how many times I have seen people selling cars on ebay that they say have 390s and are really 352s. The only real way to tell is to check the bore and stroke, but you can make educated guesses. Like if the data plate indicates something other than a 390 and it has the wrong color valve covers for a 390... things like that. As far as the transmission, I would switch it to a 4 speed toploader transmission. I also wouldn't spend a bunch of money fixing it up. If you want a super nice one, you will save money by just selling this one and buying one that someone else has already fixed up. That's just because 4 doors don't bring much money. You can fix up a 2 door for the same costs and sell it for a lot more when you are tired of it. Now if it had sentimental value, I would spare no expense. You should also probably check the frame over real good. That year is notorious for having more than just a little frame rust.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Welcome, Jake. Anyone who can figure out how to post a picture here on his first post has a bright future ahead of him!

I agree 100% with 62XL. That car is never going to make money for you. For me this knowledge lifted a great burden. Want ten gauges? Put 'em in. Want 20" wheels, always wanted pink paint job, Hurst shifter, a 500 HP with glass packs? There is nothing holding you back now.

With a 65 4-door, all you need is a dream to make your dream come true.*

Puttster, 1965 4-door Galaxie, customized.
* with apologies to Bloody Mary, South Pacific.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts