Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this US car scene, being in the UK. Always fancied a big American muscle car, and now I have the chance at a 1973 Gran Torino. Problem is I haven't a clue at what I should be looking for in known problems. I know my way around a car and can generally fix most problems, but a Torino?????
So any help/guidance as to what to watch/look out for would be most appreciated.
Where are the known rust points etc
What stuff is known to fail etc
What bits wear a lot etc

I have been running 2 Land rovers so I'm used to knowing what is likely to go on them, but like I said above. I've always fancied a US muscle car (my lad likes them too) so I'm looking to sell one of my Landies and get the Torino, but need the advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of the problems with 72/73 Torinos are body related (rust) and the fact that body repair parts are not highly reproduced. Wheelhouses, front floor toeboards, and other repair parts can be hard to locate creating a hand fab (costly) repair. Also emblems, mouldings and trim parts are scarce and pricey. I am about 3/4 through a 73 restoration and costwise I am much above my original estimate of what it would be. That said because of the rarity and uniqueness of the car you will probably be in a small and unique group of people with the car, especially in your part of the world. Also if equipped with the competition suspension the rear upper control arm bushings are no longer available but Spohn makes a rear control arm replacement setup which gets very high reviews. Rust problem areas are lower rear fenders/wheelhouses, trunk, windshield and rear window, under vinyl top and like alot of older cars floor especially toeboard. This is not a complete list I am sure and others will hopefully chime in with additional info but this would be a good start.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Ended up buying a 1970 Ford XL, turns they are even rarer.
There is not even a model page for them.
Where would be best to post questions about the XL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts