Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new radiator for the ole Gal. Was just curious if there were better/least expensive places to get one, if there were other makes cars that I could also look for that would work for my car.
65 Galaxie 500, 352, auto

I'm sure there are other threads regarding this topic, I will search here and google, but I like to get new fresh ideas and input from here!!! Thanks

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
It depends on what you want as far as originality. I presume you have the top/bottom bolt-on tab variety. If you need it to look entirely original, then you're kind-of stuck. If your tanks are good, then a re-core is a less expensive possibility. If the whole thing is trash, then it's a full original-style replacement.

If originality is not a concern, then there are a couple options from the aftermarket aluminum guys. A bolt-in replacement with 2-rows of 1" cores tubes (will cool yours with room to spare) run about $200. You can shoot it flat black and most will not notice it. If you're really tight on cash, there are 'universal' radiators for $125-$150 that are the same, but don't have the tabs. You can buy brackets, or have a shop weld the tabs on, or you can make support brackets from scrap metal. I just made a set today to use one of this type. HTH

David

Typical universal aluminum radiator:

Brackets I made earlier today for the same type of rad. The channels get a chunk of foam and cradle the bottom rib of the radiator. Drill holes and bolt to the radiator support, or just weld them on like I will. Another one with a bolt for the top and you're done. I used channel stock as that's what I had. You can use sheet metal or whatever:

·
Registered
185 Posts
for my 65 I bought a radiator from champion radiators off ebay.. all billet aluminum, can choose 2, 3 or 4 core. it had flanges on the sides of it which made installation a piece of cake. price wise was decent too, my 4 core cost me about $260 shipped. I havent upgraded to electric fans yet, but using the stock declutching fan it still never got over 200 during a parade in 90 degree heat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I am taking it in to a radiator guy tomorrow and hoping that he can just fix it up for me, if not, I will look in to the options you guys suggested. I would like to stay original...but at this point...price is more of a concern. I just want to get my car on the road!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts