Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. just had a new front windsheild intalled in my 69 galaxie and noticed something i think i should ask about. should there be a couple small spacers at the bottom for the new windsheild to rest on?. i noticed when i took some chrome off one of my parts cars that orginally this car has two small (about 1" long) spacers that look like they may help hold the windshield from sliding down onto the bottom of the windshield opening.

asked the installer about it. they said it's not needed since once whatever it is they glued it in with sets up, the windsheilds not going anywhere.

the installer is a pretty good company but i don't think they do alot of old cars so thought i better ask before putting the chrome back on. thanks for any help

scott

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks rayell. went out and looked again and now notice they're screwed on. guess i put em back on for originality's sake.

scott

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-06-10 20:34, rayell wrote:
The installer is correct. They are guide blocks.
I agree...just did a tile job in the bathroom, one of my friends - his does this for a living - started laughing when he saw I was using these "spacers" (you get them in the box or from places like Home depot) to keep the spacing correct and line up the tiles.

He says, "Only amateurs use spacers." - Duh! Pros do this all day long, its a waste of time for them to put in spacers, line it up, then go back and take them out, besides, its easier to "eye-ball" stuff in pace to make up for irregularities as thing settle or get racked from use and abuse.

Yeah, let the pros do what they do best...us amateurs are the only ones that need to be concerned about doing it right.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ditto. i know my limitations. glad to pay to have ot done right the first time. i'll stick with what i know, gets pricey when they have fix my *&^%ups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts