Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and my compliments to the site. Very awesome and informative and I love the way everyone is willing to help without being degrading.

Now to my questions. I stumbled into a '64 Falcon that had been sitting for 15 years in a barn. I snatched it up and have been getting the bugs worked out since then. I now have it running and driving like a champ. The car is bone stock and a complete survivor. It has the 144 ci engine with 3 on the tree. It is the base model and the condition is awesome, but not perfect. It was painted 15 years ago the paint is great driver quality, but not perfect. So the question is, if I stuff a V8 and 5 speed in it, would it up the value or bring it down? And the what would you suggest a fair price to ask for it if I were to sell it the way it is? The only hole in the car is under the battery in the apron and it's probably around 3" in size.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice. I appreciate it.

The Bandit

·
Registered
289 Posts
I6 are great motors and would stick with them. I was at one time in your shoes. I have a 289 V8 with a 2 barrel carburetor. As much as I thought I would stick with the stock components-because I didn't want to hurt the "value"~ I ended up porting the heads, changing to a 4barrel carburetor, aluminum intake, hooker headers... and so on.
Here's my take. Your car is worth what someone is willing to pay for. If you like what you have- then that's great and the wife/girlfriend is happy! If you want a little bit more panties dropping and put a smile to your face performance... then go ahead and make it your own(don't tell your wife/girlfriend; they'll get jealous of your new girl). Good luck and welcome to FMF!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Value depends on a few things

Where you are and local demand are considerations.

Value typically descends in the following order:
1. Convertible
2. 2dr Sprint V8 hardtop (no post)
3. 2dr hardtop (no post)
3. 2dr sedan
4. 4dr sedan - in most cases these are limited by lack of interest and are very cheap for what they are even for a minty one.

The wagons fit in there somewhere between 2dr HT and sedan usually.

A factory V8 car is always more desirable. I personally think a V8/5 speed swap is also better any day than a 6cyl/3 on the tree even if not original.

I am guessing your car might be a 2dr or 4dr sedan if it is a base model? Mine is a 2dr 65 sedan which I personally prefer over the hardtop but I am in the minority.

Also. the bad news is Falcons are not particularly valuable regardless compared to other more collectable 60's cars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had an I6 200 cid- that I totally gutted and put in an AOD/302 4bbl with MII Front end and 4 link 9" rear end- new interior the whole 9 yards(and we did it ourselves) abot 23 grand in it SO FAR- I mean this thing rocks so I figure its worth abot 7 grand on the open market hahahahaha sorry they aint that valuable- but to me it's priceless since she's been mine since 1974- so go figure

·
Registered
340 Posts
I say stick with the 6, though maybe swap in a 200 over that gutless 144. A V8 swap will cost you a ton of money. Too much stuff needs to be changed.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I agree with just about all of the posts below. Make it yours, spend what you can afford and I wouldn't worry about the value aspect too much. I'm sure I'll hate myself one day for all the mods I've made on my car but I'm having way too much fun to worry about that! :D

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice, fella's. I really appreciate it. It sounds like finding a donor V8 would be the way to go. Or the Mustang II front end intrigues me. I did some research on it some time back but it looks like a $1800-2500 kit. Are there any kits that are less expensive or other ways to do it? I love the idea of totally changing the front suspension and brakes at the same time but I am not wanting to go that deep at this time if I can help it.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.