Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm a newbie to the Galaxie and just aquired a 64 vert that needs a little work, 1st and formost i'm trying to get all the lighting to work as when I received the car it only has the rear Tail lights and rear Blinkers that work. I need a little help with the Headlight portion. The Headlight switch has all the wires connected so i'm a little lost has where to go from here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks In Advanced

Mango

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Welcome! With a '64 Gal and issues, you won't be a noob for long. ;) Here ya go. Print full size or larger and have fun!
:D
David

'64 Galaxie 1 of 2:

'64 Galaxie 2 of 2:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Check the wire loom plugs at the firewall by the driver's side hood hinge. Also check the dimmer switch on the floor.

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Yeah, that!

I think the proper first question is:

Do you own something like this?

Wavetek 10XL Meterman Pocket-Sized Digital Multimeter TESTED | eBay

'Cause if not, you need one and you need to know the basics of how to use it.

You cannot survive old-car ownership without either having basic electrical tools and knowledge or a willingness to pay someone who does.
Jem, you should continue ... tell the man where to use it. Myself, I don't see where the probes should go. But if it would help, Newbie could save $44 and get one this weekend Coupon Display

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Looking at PSIG's diagram... First disconnect the battery. Now, I see the headlights, the running lights and the horn go through the firewall together. Are they all dead? Maybe that six-plug connector there is corroded up. Good place to check anyways. When you hit the dimmer do the brights and the brights indicator go on on off? If not the dimmer could have a loose wire. The third (and IMO the most likely) issue is the light switch, you can get a new one for less than $20 at autozone.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Jem, you should continue ... tell the man where to use it. Myself, I don't see where the probes should go. But if it would help, Newbie could save $44 and get one this weekend Coupon Display
The black/org at the HL switch is the power from the battery IIRC. Check for +12 to ground at that terminal.

If you've got +12 there (it should be live all the time, it's not switched through the ignition) then the red/yellow is the headlight power out of the switch to the dimmer switch. Check for +12 to ground from the red/yellow terminal at the headlight switch to ground when the switch is all the way out.

If you've got +12 on the blk/org but you don't get +12 on the red/yel when the switch is pulled all the way out then you've got a bad switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts