Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my list of things to do before I'm a dirt napper is to make some passes at the track. This is something that I've wanted to do since my first trip to a drag strip in the mid 60's. I was restoring my 66 Mustang to be a performance street car, but I've decided to go one step further with racing in mind. I've been restoring and building cars and trucks for a while and have accumulated a bunch of parts that I can use. My current decision is whether to use my fresh top loader 4 sp or a competitiion AOD that I picked up recently (or neither?). This will be going behind a roller 302 that I'm building. There is something about wanting to bang the gears with a manual that speaks to me a lot more than being consistent. I don't even really care if I stall or miss gears at first....I just want to get out there and try regardless of embarassing myself. I have no idea where this will take me and it may suffice just to get on the line and make a few passes and never become an avid track racer....but having said that, I can also see myself continuing to go to my local track on Friday nights at least a few times every summer. And what about a Hurst V-gate inline shifter for the top loader? I've never used anything like this so I have no idea if these are worth looking at. I just recently purchase the entire drive train and front end suspension from a cop who was parting out a wrecked P71 Crown Vic. I was going to use this in an F-100 that i restoring but now I'm wondering if any of these parts could be used in my Mustang, especially the 4 link rear end with a 4:11 gear set? All advise and opinions will be appreciated. One final note; since I'm not sure how far down the road I will go with this, my financial situation does not lend itself to spending a huge amount of money to get where I'm going at least for now.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Kinda hard to beat banging through a 4 speed down the track!!! Roller 302 with the top loader would be a great start for the 66..I would go with 3.73 to start with.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
+1. Do what appeals to you and stick your toes in the water. If you become a fanatic, you'll be happy to change to whatever tickles you at that point. If not, you'll be right where you want to be.

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
+2.......Lots of fun rowing the gears with a toploader and a nicely built smallblock..I wouldn't worry too much about being consistant right off the bat..Just go out to a test n tune and have some fun and see how quick you can run...Chances are you will be hooked and be back here asking how you can improve your times and traction....It's always a compromise with a street/strip car as to how fast you want to go and what you will put up with on the street..

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
+3 If you really want a stick tranny, the auto will not be good substitute for the fun you could have rowing your own gears.

I started racing a few years ago (then in my early 50's) and have a blast driving my toploader 65' Mustang at the local 1/4 strip each week. It took a couple of years to master launching and shifting it, but now I hold my own against the G force racing transmission/Long shifter sponsored cars at the our local track.

The V-Gate will help you to not miss shifts at the track, but you may not like it if you want to drive on the streets too. I still run an old Competition Plus H pattern because I haven't convinced myself to cut up the tranny tunnel yet. Even have a V-gate (and a Super Shifter) hanging on the wall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK...looks like I'm going to follow my heart and stick with the top loader, sound like too much fun. So, now I have another question. I actually have two 66 Mustang project cars. One is a primered rolling shell ready to build, the other is 90 % done except for the interior and is pretty much a stock c code with a 289. I was originally planning on selling one to help fund the other to keep, but now I'm thinking of putting together a dedicated track car out of the rolling shell. I have a number of ways I can go with this plus, a ready to build 93 roller block, some 60cc aluminum heads and plenty of high performance goodies to go with it including an E303 and an X303 cam that I picked up for $25 reground and never run. I know nothing about this camshaft other than the specs. My thoughts are to build an engine, mate it withe my top loader and put together the shell with only what is necessary to run it at the track. I also have a Holley 650 double pumper and two Holley 4160 450cfm carbs and an edelbrock f-28 dual quad intake and an old Offy high rise dual quad intake to work with. So here's the; "what would you do if you were me question." Again, any suggestions will be much appreciated and thanks to those of you who have responded so far

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Considering that I currently have 3 simultaneous, ongoing build/restore projects I would say to do 1 car at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts