Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can you help me out. I've got a 1968 fastback with a stock 302 and I was wondering that if I fitted some AFR165s (with 58cc chambers) what lift/duration would I be limited to with the stock pistons to avoid interference issues with the larger valves on the AFR heads?

For example, would a C90Z-6250-C (NPD Part No. 6250-1B) cam be okay with the AFR heads and stock pistons?

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Welcome to the site cooks.That's a tough question to answer unless someone has your exact combination.Any milling of the heads or deck surface and even different thickness of headgaskets will make the results different than yours..I'm sure that's why you aren't getting many replies.You will just have to put a head on and check your piston to valve clearance to know for sure.Also when posting questions about camshafts its nice if you can post the specs so people don't have to do a search just to find your specs.Good luck with the heads

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hello there and welcome
Heres a link to the AFR source.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/165sbf_strp.php
As far as valve lift the max id go with without checking the clearance on stock pistons is .50 or so lift. However id really recommend checking it out before you turn the key. There is a way to do it with a lightweight checking spring and a dial indicator. But this is a tricky way to do it. Clay checking is more sure, but more time consuming.
Also the 1.9/1.94 valve size is as big as you can go with stock pistons regardless of lift duration.
Good luck and check back for any other questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies and I apologise for not giving you the cam specs, I should have known better really...

As you suggest I think the best thing to do, is check the clearances. There's no point going to all the trouble of fitting the new heads and wrecking the engine just because I didn't spend a little time making sure eveything was just so.

I just wanted to add that some of the stuff you guys do or have done on here is awesome....

I'll certainly be hanging around reading and learning stuff from you guys!

Cheers,

Cooks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts