Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am new to fords and falcons so please dont laugh at my question. On a 64 falcon with a v8 is the oil pan front sump or rear sump?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front Sump until the Mustang 11 came out.That is not a dumb question at all!! ROY.
Thank you. Thats what I thought but wanted a confirmation. The motor i bought was going in a galaxie and its rear sump. Do I just need a new pan and different pickup on the oil pump?

·
Subscriber
263 Posts
While you're at it, think about replacing the oil pump, the pickup too of course and the oil pump to distributor drive shaft. These parts are pretty cheap, but if the pump fails or the pump drive fails.............Calif Mustang has a replacement oil pan WITH the baffle in it...just like the Boss 302. The round oil pickup end goes inside the sheet metal hole in the pan to have constant oil to the pump should you make a sudden turn or stop or acceleratoin. You can also get the scraper that bolts to the main caps for added insurance too. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You will also may want to drill out a hole for the oil dip stick tube on the timing chain cover and plug the dip stick tube hole in the side of the block. Or you could use an early TCC and water pump. If you're going with a manual transmission you will need the after market adapter for the z-bar.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
OK I am new to fords and falcons so please dont laugh at my question. On a 64 falcon with a v8 is the oil pan front sump or rear sump?

Most often on most engines made by who-ever, the sump is directly below the oil pump, which in turn is directly below the distributor.

I think in the 1970's when they stuffed the little V-8 into the Mustang Two they had to alter that resoning.

Wm.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will also may want to drill out a hole for the oil dip stick tube on the timing chain cover and plug the dip stick tube hole in the side of the block. Or you could use an early TCC and water pump. If you're going with a manual transmission you will need the after market adapter for the z-bar.
Where on the TC would I drill for the dipstick? I also am assuming that I will need to remove it to drill it? What is the best way to plug the existing hole?
The engine is new, only broke in on a dyno. I bought the short block from the guy who had it built by FPS. He sold the heads and intake off it. I will be using a c4. thanks for the help

·
Subscriber
263 Posts
Where on the TC would I drill for the dipstick? I also am assuming that I will need to remove it to drill it? What is the best way to plug the existing hole?
The engine is new, only broke in on a dyno. I bought the short block from the guy who had it built by FPS. He sold the heads and intake off it. I will be using a c4. thanks for the help
If there is a boss on the cover (I've seen timing covers w/no boss---looks like a transition engineering thing) the boss is located on the passenger side of the cover, a small flat space on top. It is near the the last bolt hole that the cover would bolt to the block. If there is a boss, it will be raised about 1/4 " for the dipstick tube to be pressed in. There have been at least 5 different dipstick tubes made for the small block. I use the one which has the bracket spot welded to the tube & bent ("L" shaped) forward the engine and bolts to one of the water pump bolts. If there is none, then buy a new one that has the boss already drilled out ready for the tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts