Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Falcon wagon with a 302, i'm not happy with the performance. The motor is rebuilt with flattop pistons , stock heads ,600holley, daulplane intake and crane cam 272/.484. I think I made the wrong cam choice. I need more low rpm power/torque. I was thinking of using comp cams dual energy 255 263/.460.467 cam. Also I just picked up a set of windor sr. heads and want to use these also. Doe's this sound like a better combo for low rpm torque. JIM

·
Registered
629 Posts
Although it's a larger displacement, on my 351W I dropped in a comp cams 268H grind and was using a Holley 600cfm carb and it had a decent low end, however when I switched over to a Carter 625cfm carb, I noticed a definate better bottom end to it. Maybe it's just me, but although I love Holleys, they just seem to be a bit fussy on the street. Biggest problem I've encountered with the Carter was the fuel inlet, it's on the back passenger side instead of upfront on the drivers side like the Holley. Now the car this was in was considerable heavier than your Falcon, I had a wonderful dark green 1969 Mercury Cougar who met an untimely demise at a red traffic light when the driver coming up behind me at about 50mph for some reason or another decided the trunk of my Cougar was about three foot too long for their taste, but in her death she was parted out so others may live

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Humpy I had a comp 260 in my 400 4x4 and it had tons of low end power.
Dyno Tom I'm in Mauston 20miles from the Dells. I got a brother that lives in West Allis. Nice falcon Tom! JIM

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dual energy cam is o.k., but the extreme energy series would be better. Try the XE250H. Also, I would not use the big windsor heads on a stock 302. This is going the wrong way as they are too big at 200cc on the intake. They will kill velocity in the port and hurt your low end even further. The stock heads with the hump ground out of the exhaust and a bowl blend will provide good results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mhumprey,a carter will give you more low end because it is setup more for mileage than performance,not a race carb!!Take them both to the track if you have a good motor setup and see what makes more power!!!I did and a Holley won hands down!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts