Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Finally convinced Richard here go turbo. He's got a 347 topped with ported Canfields. I just dropped 3500 dollars on a nice tig machine, so the welds better be nice...tell you what. Probably gonna go with about 7 psi. Mine moved well with the level, his should be stupid with a bigger motor. Only drawback is his block. He wimping out on me. Doesn't want to blow it. Eh,
Gonna get the same treatment of a MP T-70, 38mm wastegate and 50mm BOV. Both Tial. This is gonna be my test mule for my kits. :flag:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Turbo w/ a carb is quite a challenge. Maybe not at that boost level, but the guys I race w/ who run turbos w/ carbs at over 20 psi have a hell of a time getting them to run right. The blow through carb setup w/ a centrifugal blower and high boost always works much better than the same setup and a turbo. The guys running a carb have a hell of a time getting down the track and if they do, it's because they spent a ton of time tuning and getting it just right. Not sure why the turbo/carbed setup is so hard to get running properly. I think it has something to do with the way the turbo builds boost and the intake pulse on higher boost applications with a carb versus fuel injection where fuel injection is able to meter fuel much more precisely.

http://mdstreetracingassoc.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 1/23/07 4:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$3,500? damn, what'd ya get? 250, 300 amp?
my miller synchwave 185 was only 2k.
Bring this back from the dead since we dynoed it again.
It's only a 200 amp, but it's a Dynasty, then the add on stuff was almost 1k. Torch, bottle and so on.

We need to lower the boost level by probably 2-3 psi. Ended up with 477 rwhp and 460 rwtrq with 11.5 psi. It peaked at 5600 because it was just so rich. We left it at that and decided to keep the block and come back with less boost, lean it out and probably end up with 450rwhp at 62-6300 with 8-9psi.

Blow thru with a turbo can be a challenge if you just throw more jet at it and don't understand how they work. The hard par twith blo thru is tricking the carb into thinking it's "seeing more air." The boost curve is the hardest part to get with a turbo. It's not linear like chargers. I've gopt a good block and I'm at 12 psi right now. I'm gonna go to 19-20, with a carb.:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts