1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys give me some input as to which we should bring on as a project car:

67 Falcon sports coupe, 6cyl 3spd manual
63 Falcon 6cyl 3spd manual

While i don't mind arguments about which body style YOU prefer, I'd really like to know any nuances about the model years that make it harder/easier to modify. For instance, fitting big wheels maybe harder in the 63. Or tell me why finding parts sucks for one year versus the other, etc.

Come guys, let us have it - you're helping decide the next FM project!

·
Registered
681 Posts
i like the 66 and up models you can fit larger engines with less work.
a 428cj from a torino is a bolt in.
as fare as looks ive seen one of every year that looks great.
i myselfe prefere the 68-69 its the grill and tail lights.
but 67 has the best front fenders.
this is why im hooked on them.
this was on my 16th birthday.

this one had 351w with 4spd.
he had many falcons one with 428cj.
i just allways liked that body stile since then.
sry the pic isnt better i did it in the high school photo dark room
68 falcon fact ac
67 falcon next project no motor or trans no rot either

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68sportcoup on 10/21/06 8:41am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I like them both as I have similar years of both. The '63 will have alot in common with the early Mustangs, while the '67 will have alot in common with the later Torinos and Fairlanes. You can bolt a 460 into the '67 with no problem, while a small block in a '63 will require some work. You can fit very little tire in the '63 without major mods while the '67 will take some rubber easily. Toss a coin as they are both good choices.

·
Registered
681 Posts
hey tbolt you should bring that car to epping tomorrow.
its suposed to be another nostalgia event fore the one that rained out in the spring 72 and older only drags and car show.
im not shore how busy it will be though if its not that warm.
i might go check it out.
its only ten bucks to get in cheap day.

http://www.newenglanddragway.com/

68 falcon fact ac
67 falcon next project no motor or trans no rot either

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68sportcoup on 10/21/06 11:20pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I suspose its what you want in the end. As far as parts availability for body and such, the '65 and older wins out. If its drive train fitment, the newer style is the ticket. I myself am a little bias towards the '64 and '65 body style. The older round bodies are beauitful cars also. I grew up with these cars in the sixties and lost interest in the Falcon in '66 when Ford took away its sporty muscle car attibutes in lieu of the Fairlane and Mustang. I'm very partial to two door hardtops, so with that being said, go find a 63 1/2, '64 or '65 two door hardtop. Vendors and parts are more plentiful for these cars. Thanks for showing interest and polling our opinions.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On 2006-10-21 08:19, retyler wrote:
I suspose its what you want in the end. As far as parts availability for body and such, the '65 and older wins out. If its drive train fitment, the newer style is the ticket. I myself am a little bias towards the '64 and '65 body style. The older round bodies are beauitful cars also. I grew up with these cars in the sixties and lost interest in the Falcon in '66 when Ford took away its sporty muscle car attibutes in lieu of the Fairlane and Mustang. I'm very partial to two door hardtops, so with that being said, go find a 63 1/2, '64 or '65 two door hardtop. Vendors and parts are more plentiful for these cars. Thanks for showing interest and polling our opinions.
I diito that. I'm also partial to those same year hardtops 63 1/2 - 65, then would be the 60-61 round bodies with the rounded tops and those curved rear windows, then the round body post tops. The 67's come in a close forth then everything else after that. When they started putting Falcon badges on Torinos that was really the end of it. I too think that Ford lost their focus on what the Falcon originaly was all about when they introduced the Mustang.
What ever you guys choose I'm sure you will do it justice.
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Doesn't it kind of matter what the scope of the project is going to be? Is the car still going to be a stock bodied and stock suspended Falcon when it's done? My 2 cents on that would be that I had no problems sourcing ball joints and tie rods for my '68 at the local McParts store.

On the other hand, if it's getting a r&p front, narrowed, tubbed and 4-linked rear then I would think it's merely personal preference (or cost) of the starting point.

When we abandonded our Gasser coupe project and decided to look for a more complete car to start with I was just looking for a mid 60's Ford as a platform so that the W & C4 would be a 'simple' install. To be perfectly honest this '68 that we are using really wouldn't have been my first choice but it was a good deal when I found it so I went forward with it. Given my druthers, a '64 Fairlane wagon would have been a neater car (for my purposes).

So, Admin, how about a little insight as to what this project is going to look like. Budget, time line, sheet metal modifications, intended use, power plant, etc. would all be considerations as to which of those two cars to use.

In my opinion anyway.

Murff

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Murff,
Good questions. Not sure of the answer quite yet, other than we're thinking of a turbo 6cyl 5 speed (hence the desire to get a 6cyl manual car.) The project will focus on the usual FM theme of classic looks but modern conviniences such as good handling, braking, and power. Will be little to no body modifications if we can help it!

Thanks and keep the good info coming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
gREAT IDEA! I recently read about a 200" six in the Nov. issue of Mustang & Fords. Check it out. Aussie head, normally aspirated=235hp @ crank/ 228 lb.ft. torque. same engine with lower compression and a turbo would be cappable of 300+ hp maybe even up to near 400! WOW!

·
Registered
9 Posts
GREAT IDEA! I recently read about a 200" six in the Nov. issue of Mustang & Fords. Check it out. Aussie head, normally aspirated=235hp @ crank/ 228 lb.ft. torque. same engine with lower compression and a turbo would be cappable of 300+ hp maybe even up to near 400! WOW!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well, if it were me...

A V6 into the '63 seems like it would be a decent fit and look real nice.

Likewise, an I6 (250 / 300"?) should fit / look Ok in the '67.

Murff

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
My vote is for the 63. Parts for the 60-65 are very easy to find. Parts for the 66+ are wrecking yard only with exception of common parts house parts.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
On 2006-10-22 16:36, 64 TBOLT wrote:
waited to long FM
, SOLD
It ain't gone until you have cash in hand.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the offer 64 TBOLT, but you're just a bit too far for us to travel!
Nice car though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts