Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again...

More hydraulic clutch probs

Well I was able to get the slave bled after extensive bleeding, I finally realized how to do it with a pop bottle filled with brake fluid, hooked up to the bleeder screw.

Now it seems as tho I'm not getting enough travel on the slave to fully disengage the clutch. I'm getting about 1" of travel at the slave? Does this sound right? When its in gear with the clutch in and when I bump it over it's trying to go in w/e direction I've got it in. Also, when in neutral with the clutch in I cannot get it into gear...

Here's what I'm using

CNC 711 - 3/4" master
CNC 305B 7/8" slave
Lakewood Bell 15202
Lakewood Clutch fork 15525
Centerforce N1439
Centerforce Dual Friction clutch DF700000
Mcleod Dual surface Clutch Disc
Tremec TKO-600 tranny

I'm not sure what the problem is but I've tried everything, all to no avail. I took the tranny back out and adjusted the pivot stud in the the scattershield. I've made it as long as possible and it just doesn't seem to be getting enough.

From the research that I've done it seems as tho I've got all my bases covered for parts etc???

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
1" sounds about right .. Maybe readjust it to where its barly off the thro out baren. Or just readjust it a little at a time untill you get enough travel.
tim

·
Registered
17 Posts
How much free play do you have at the pedal? With engine off adjust free travel to an inch for starts. After running the car, make sure there is a little pedal play at mid range rpms to keep the throwout bearing from being loaded.

Had similar problems when piecing together a hydro clutch a few years ago. Tried different ratio master cylinder diameters then adjusted the clutch arm pivot on the foot pedal to end up with satisafactory travel vs. pedal effort. In the end the hydro setup works great but it took a while to get there.

When I tried the 3/4 master I moved the clutch rod down the arm for more travel; with a 5/8 master, the clutch rod went up and a roller bearing went into the left side of the pedal hanger assembly to handle the greater loads.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like I'll be swapping out the slave cylinder as it appears as tho it doesn't have enough travel. After messing around with it quite a bit I can only get a a max of 1" travel. I stopped and thought about it, having a smaller master then slave I realized that the amount of travel in the master would be greater than what I'd get out of the slave due to the volume distances. I'm going to replace the slave with the same size as the master and go from there. This way I should get 1.5" out of the slave, the same amount of travel from the master

1 - 4 of 4 Posts