Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, my nine inch is out of the car at the moment, whats the procedure for filling it with oil? i dont have a filler cap.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On the driver's side of the 3rd member (the big iron chunk that mounts to the axle housing) there is a plug about 3/4" diameter with a square hole for putting the end of a socket wrench in to remove the plug. Then just fill with gear oil until the level is up to the hole.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just prop it up first so it's sitting at the same angle as in the car so you don't over or under fill. Pick up a gear oil hand pump for a few bucks at the parts store. Makes it so much easier to do under the car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys, i'd better put my glasses on, i didnt even see that plug...

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
There are some early combos with a plug on the rear axle housing, and later combos on the center section. It is possible to put a combo together without a filler plug.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
By far, the easiest way I know is to install the center section and one axle. Remove the drain plug for a reference for the level of the oil, and then pour the oil in the end of the open axle tube. Normally it takes 5 pints of oil to fill a 9" rear.

If you don't have a filler plug, then this is your only option (short of punching a hole.).

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Stealth Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 7/10/06 6:29pm ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts