Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what I am wondering is what nos rates 1 250 shot at is approx 18lbs/min.
when you put 18lbs/min in to desktop thought it thinks it is more like a 450-500 shot

which one is more accurate and is there a happy median between the 2

P.S. I also run a nitrous HP cam so I am guessing that it helps out quite a bit

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok then how many pounds per minute should I be useing to get approx 250 HP gain?

I am just trying to figure what my 250 shot is really worth

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Well, if you select the right size for a 250 shot, it will add exactly 250hp to your entire power curve. That's the cool thing about NOS, since you know how much O2 and fuel you are dumping in, and if it is burned optimally, you know pretty much exactly how much HP it will add. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you buy a 75hp NOS kit and put it on anything from a 2.0L I4 to a 540ci V8, it will add 75hp instantly as soon as the system kicks on. That is, given your engine is running well and optimally for NOS.

Edit: Remember though, if you cut the NOS injection in too soon (at too low of engine RPM) things will start flying apart very rapidly. That's what's cool about Dyno2000, you can add your 250hp shot, and then look at the BMEP curve and see at what RPM it's relatively safe to have your NOS kick in (when the BMEP is under 300psi).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 2/5/02 9:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I guess the jets are a relative concept, seeing as differnt manufactures have different jets for the same power level. what I was saying approx 18 lbs/min by nitrous oxide systems is 250 HP

where as some other like NX has different jets. so for 18 lbs/min what kind of extra power am I looking to make, take in mind this is a moddified motor and does has a nitrous cam

any other opinions

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The nitrous horsepower rating... 250hp, 350hp, are estimates. You can only get in "X" amount of air through the ports without a blower. Certain engine combinations do work better with nitrous as well. My combo, 466, 13.5 to 1, Blue Thunder heads, Victor, Dominator, was good for 750 HP on the dyno. For a kick since we had time we put my NOS Big Shot on it. Set at 250 HP made 400. This was nowhere close to the nitrous setting on Dyno2000, the HP was VERY close. It's a fun tool, don't trust any settings with nitrous or a blower. BTW if you have your heads flowed, it's close, without... never know

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I guess the best advice would be for you to call NOS or someone else that deal with nitrous systems and get their oppinion... Anything less would just be pure speculation, heh.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I might just have to call them up.
I hjave used nitrous in a stock application before and on mine it feels like way more than it is rated at, my 250 feels about like 400

guess next thing to try is direct port injection

1 - 8 of 8 Posts