Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... well i decided i'm just gonna take my maverick to the local speed shop and have them do a stock ish rebuild... they will do a couple of "improvement" things so it will run better...
i'm debating putting some nitrous on it... not to much i think... maybe get the kit for 50-150hp shots? would a rebuild be able to handle that? or would i need new pistons? i could pay for some pistons that hold up to nitrous if i need to... and i'm not sure if i will get new pistons with the rebuild but i will check. thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Spring for the forged pistons if your budget can handle it. I've seen too many expensive "paperweights" 'cause of nitrous. I know there are guys on this board who love and swear by the stuff, but I don't believe in it unless your engine's built to handle it.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Definatly get a better piston. KB's are ok. All nitrous problems are tuning & other system failures. Use your head & the instructions. If you can, clean up the combustion chambers a little & the piston tops too, sharp edges make detonation & that spelld disaster in a bottle car. Also make sure the top ring gap is a little wide, it'll help. 150 HP is nothing for a engine, just retard the timing 4-6 degrees for every 100 HP of nitrous. Use a good ignition too!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
And a good fuel system. You don't want to starve the stuff.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in regards to the fuel system...... i do not know if in the rebuild the shop will "upgrade" any of it... so it might stay stock (i however WILL upgrade it eventually) so would the stock fuel system be okay?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Your best bet is to install a electric pump. You have to maintain a constant pressure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i was also pondering about this, i have a 289 stock pistons and crank, i have heard not to even try N2O on cast pistons, but can i run the 50hp shot ok? will i even notice a difference with that little of a shot though? and how many time can i hit it on a 10lb bottle?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The worst thing you can do to a 460 is run a bottle on cast pistons. Lincoln has 20. You just have to be careful not to run too much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One more thing folks... Rod bolts. If you are going to squeez NOS often, the factory rod bolts are a weak point. Have your rods reconed with 3/8 ARP wave-lock's. Go forged on the pistons for sure....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts