Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again. I have no brake pedal travel. There is honestly probably 1/2 of an inch of travel before the brakes throw you toward the windshield. Brakes definately work but the pedal is almost to the floor. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Have you made any changes to brake system ?? Does the m/c piston return all the way to the rear? If so maybe someone has changed the push rod length. Not enough info ?? To give you a real answer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You don't say whether you have power or manual brakes, but I'm going to guess power and your booster is going out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Me again. I have no brake pedal travel. There is honestly probably 1/2 of an inch of travel before the brakes throw you toward the windshield. Brakes definately work but the pedal is almost to the floor. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Are you saying that the pedal, when in the resting position is only 1/2 inch from the firewall? Or does the pedal rest in the normal position and do nothing until you are 1/2 from the firewall? And as mentioned, do you have manual or power brakes? Discs or Drums?

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
I drove a '66 like that but don't know what the issue was or if this is the same year or the same issue. This one the first time you touched the brakes you had to do it super lightly or it was like a stick in the spokes of a bike and after that initial step it was fine. Have no clue what the cause was, it wasn't my car. The pedal didn't go almost to the floor though either.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Maybe he can't stop here, the brakes quit :)
thats funny...:D

hate when guy's ask for help and solutions to their problem...

then absolut NOTHING ...guess we not worthy ...:bs:

·
Registered
734 Posts
i know what you mean, i have the same problems there's NO 'tapping' the brakes all or nothing lol
i think its my booster buut it could be my master cylinder. those are the only 2 things i havent changed since ive had that problem.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is a pretty old thread but it kinda fits in with my issue. I too have only about and inch or two of travel on my brake pedal. (the pedal is closer to me than the firewall to be clear) My leg can rest on the brake pedal and my thigh is touching the steering wheel. I don't really mind that much since I like to stop the car quickly if needed. The only thing I don't like is the difference between the height of the gas pedal versus the brake. I feel like I am doing leg lifts.:) Maybe this has something to do with my problem. I work about 15 miles away and in the morning I don't have any issues (no traffic) yet on the way home all 4 brakes will lock up. I can let the car sit for awhile and they will release. I know the distance isn't the problem but can't figure out if it is heat, use that is making the symptom. I have a 67 Gal with drum rears (completely redone) and disc in the front with booster. I have an adjustable prop value from summit or Jegs. When I got everything installed I took it to the brake shop and had them flush, bleed, and ensure it would stop. When I turn the value to "less brake" it doesn't seem to do much. what could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I think I scared him off. God I hate it when this happens.

HIs PROBLEM is maladjusted brakes. The rear brakes are NOT adjusted properly, and once they are and once the fronts are then he'll have Full pedal and he'll stop getting pusie-whooplash from the funked up brake adjustment, but he'll likely never come back here cause I yelled at him, and the possibility that he already discovered his problem and fixed it and no longer needs us... :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is little to no play in the booster rod to the pedal. I remember installing it and having to use a good bit of pressure to put the pin through the rod and pedal. How could I adjust that rod? I notice a few people state that they brakes need to be adjusted. I am new to brakes but I always thought you just pushed the air out, ensure you have good lines and parts, and all should work fine. How does one go about adjusting them? Is this just something that is easier to have someone else do? I bet I don't have much more than 500 miles on the brake system. (spent more time getting other parts repaired after original installation 6 months ago) I had some transmission problems and I think we have those ironed out. Thought the resistance was coming from the transmission and not the brakes. I am a very captivated audience until one of you brainy guys gives me the answers then I am fast to putting it into action. I like to look back at old questions I had and see how people have continued to talk about it after the suggestion fixed the problem. Thanks to all for the help.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
There is little to no play in the booster rod to the pedal. I remember installing it and having to use a good bit of pressure to put the pin through the rod and pedal. How could I adjust that rod? I notice a few people state that they brakes need to be adjusted. I am new to brakes but I always thought you just pushed the air out, ensure you have good lines and parts, and all should work fine. How does one go about adjusting them? Is this just something that is easier to have someone else do? I bet I don't have much more than 500 miles on the brake system. (spent more time getting other parts repaired after original installation 6 months ago) I had some transmission problems and I think we have those ironed out. Thought the resistance was coming from the transmission and not the brakes. I am a very captivated audience until one of you brainy guys gives me the answers then I am fast to putting it into action. I like to look back at old questions I had and see how people have continued to talk about it after the suggestion fixed the problem. Thanks to all for the help.
Too many Q's at once, so to start with there should be no more than about 13 millionths of an inch free play between the pushrod and the pedal.

IN layman's terms there shouldn't be much room at all. You dont want ANY if possible.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts