Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my headlights turn on when the key is on and off when the key is off and the swtich doesn't control anything also the brake lights only work when the key is on and the blickers flash all 4 corners no matter which way the signal switch is any ideas cause i tryied just about everything i can think of .
thanks
danny

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Year? Other than that I think your wiring is TOTALLY SCREWED UP! Headlights work regardless of the key BTW. Also would you please apply some punctuation in your questions too? That sentence is as bad as your wiring. It's a damn struggle to read it. Stu

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey mr. opinion its a 68 mustang ends up only one plug was messed up the 2 plugs that are soposed to pluged into the dash where pluged together causing this problem. Oh yea almost forgot sorry about the bad punctuation didn't realize i was in high school english class. also you might want to change the aditude if you said that to me in person i would have knocked you out. wiring is totally skrewed up why do you think i was asking.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
That's Mr. with a capital. If I can't understand your written words how can I help you? I think you may be the one that needs to change the attitude if you expect people to help. Judging by the less than overwhelming response to your post it seems most other people could not be bothered either. I post a response and you threaten me with bodily harm, Just a stand up guy aren't we? Two words to you, Happy motoring. Stu

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I couldn't agree with Stu any more than I do right now. You Really need to clam down Mr Punctuation.

FE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ditto to Stu and FE...
Go around threatening to knock people out, Mr. NewYork, and you'll find someone willing to make you make good on it, or even better, sue your keester over it. You know how much assault cases usually win in civil court nowadays? Quite a bit more than your average high-priced lawyer makes in a year, and that's on a low end. One misplaced threat can bring down multimillionares, and I hardly believe you fall into that category.
Lesson: Watch your mouth; no one makes enough money to make flippant threats nowadays.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Thats why we have the internet. You can threaten without any worries of actually having to follow up.

Hope you get your problems worked out, plumber68.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sounds like you need a whole new wiring harness......and maybe the car, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: carsnguitars on 9/19/06 5:27am ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
You might want to start inspecting all your connectors for corrision and fraying. Check all ground connections for rust and looseness. Age and wear and tear takes it's toll.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if anyone read my treating post they would have seen that i did find the problem and all it was is that i had the 2 connecters that go into the back of the dash plugged together everything else ran fine. the reason i got upset is i came on here looking for help and the only reponse i got was "I think your wiring is TOTALLY SCREWED UP!" the truth is if he was standing in my driveway while this was going on and said that to me i probable would have hit him. come on how is that going to help. oh and not to sound like a tuff guy or anything but that wasn't a treat it was words of warning. thank you dacofa for the only smart response

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Let me just clear something up.

If I was standing in your driveway I would probably have gone under the dash of your car and fixed the problem... and we'd be drinking a beer and your lights would be working. Your wiring was screwed up. So how was I wrong? Judging by what you described you had wiring problems.
I didn't say "Your wiring is totally screwed up you f'in [email protected]" now did I? Then you would have reason to be upset.
It can be hard to diagnose electrical problems in person but with the limited information your post gave notwithstanding it being hard to read and understand. For what it's worth it was not my intention to insult you. My apologies if you feel hurt by my remarks. I won't be so quick to criticize lest I touch a raw nerve in future.
However, If you were expecting "Oh, you have connecter A plugged into connector B" type pat answer you would be expecting a bit much. Wiring in cars especially old ones have many potential problems; opens, shorts, bad grounds, crossed wiring ( as you had) etc. and the dreaded curse of the previous owner stereo install!

Early Mustangs have very rudimentary wiring. They are usually fairly easy to diagnose WITH a set of schematics. There are a few sites that have schematics.

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/wiring/wiring1967.htm

This has 67 schematics but they are virtually identical to '68

Or the shop manual has them.

In future I'll ask for more information and start a dialog. It was presumptious of me to think you may come back with more info.

I'm posting this reply to hopefully clear the air. I've owned over 15 '67/'68 Mustangs ( I have a '67 now) plus other old Fords/Mercs too numerous to mention and I'm an electronics technician so wiring is not a big deal for me on these cars. As simple as they are it is still a good idea to have schematics, I use them all the time. You need to be able to look at what the wiring SHOULD look like, then compare what you have and have a good test light and meter to "ring out" the wires to see if they connect to where they should and they are not grounded out etc.
dacofa's post IS very useful. These are the first commons sense things you should always do when it comes to old car wiring and they oft need repeating. These cars don't have black boxes and weird funky options, You often need to do the boring detective work to find the problem, as simple as it may turn out to be.

I hope something in this post was of use to you. Good luck with your car and I'm glad you got it fixed.

Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts