Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The previous owner of my '68 removed the entire emergency brake system except the pedal. Obviously, I'll need a cable. But what other parts and pieces will I need?
...and as fate would have it, right after starting this thread I find this diagram:

·
Administrator
21,671 Posts
If you can't find the parts locally find someone selling parts off ebay and ask if they have the brake parts you need if you don't see them. They might not of thought to list something like that.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It really pains me to post this, but... :frown:

I have a friend that put a GM rear disc swap kit on his '57 (I pray for him).

They also offered a GM hand brake system which even I admired. It has both rear cables running alongside the left rail and is very well designed. You might consider this in lieu of salvage yard hunting.

Please excuse me now as I feel the need for an exorcism...

·
Registered
260 Posts
another option is a pinion mounted parking brake.

Which may or may not be less expensive.

Did the PO leave the bracket on the trans crossmember with the spring?

There are 3 cables, one to each rear brake, then one from cross member to the pedal.

I'm contemplating switching out my rear brakes to disc very shortly. It just depends on whether or not I'll have the time to do it before I have to move my car ( I'm moving in general to a different state).

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have the pedal assembly hopefully you have the associated parts under the drums. I just got all new cables for the 68 im workin on. I think it was Macs where I found them. Also your diagram is not quite right. Front cable goes through front drivers torque box then back to the rear cables. Rear cables secure in holes either side of driverside lower rear control arm. From there the driverside cable is clipped on the side of the lower control arm then to backing plate and the passenger side is routed up and across the crossmeber to the passenger backing plate.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I haven't had a chance to crawl under and see what's left and what's gone. Just when you want to dig in and do some car related stuff *BANG* wife want's a bathroom remodeled! :eek:

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
What is that diagram from, because that doesn't look anything like the way the parking brake cables run on my '67 (same frame as yours). Should be a single cable along the drivers side frame rail to a mount near the rear axle, that cable attaches to a piece that then pulls two cables that run to the rear brakes.

Here is a picture from the '67 Shop Manual: (sorry seems no matter how much I blow it up before uploading photobucket keeps shrinking it down)

·
Registered
260 Posts
What is that diagram from, because that doesn't look anything like the way the parking brake cables run on my '67 (same frame as yours). Should be a single cable along the drivers side frame rail to a mount near the rear axle, that cable attaches to a piece that then pulls two cables that run to the rear brakes.

Here is a picture from the '67 Shop Manual: (sorry seems no matter how much I blow it up before uploading photobucket keeps shrinking it down)

66 has the junction of front cable to rear cables at the center of the trans cross member with a spring loaded bracket.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The one I posted is from an earlier model Galaxie. But that's a great diagram, answers all my questions. Oh and tinypic.com will allow pretty big uploads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts